Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Permanent Address

SoapethSoapeth Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
Hi! I'm having a bit of an issue finding a straight answer from Financial Aid itself, so I was hoping someone here would be able to give me info on the matter.

My situation is this; I currently reside with another side of my family in Chicago, but I have my permanent address for everything set to my home in Indiana. I may end up staying in Chicago for the year and the next, and what concerns me is the legal matter of it all.

I have an ID and all that for Indiana as I'm marked as a citizen of that state, and as of right now I plan on moving back eventually. I don't have anything registered for Chicago as far as I remember.

I know FAFSA differs between the two states, and I'm confused entirely on the matter itself. I'll be making monthly visits to pickup my mail/school books and visit family in Indiana, so do I use my address in Indiana as my permanent one, or my current address in Chicago, as I'd be spending most of my year here?

Replies to: Permanent Address

  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 21,442 Super Moderator
    Are you an independent student?
  • SoapethSoapeth Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    No, I'm a dependent student, judging from the guidelines between the two at least.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 26,446 Senior Member
    If your parents are in Indiana, at the address you have on your driver's licence and your voter registration, then that would be your permanent address. Your current mailing address is where you are living during the school year in Illinois.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 16,041 Senior Member
    edited January 12
    You can choose your permanent address as long as state law allows it. Usually it is where you have a DL, voter's registration, register your car, have a library card, and file your taxes (you might work in a different state and have to file a non-resident return in that state). Many people spend half the year in a sunny state (Florida, AZ, Tx) and the other half in the north. They have to choose based on those things I listed.

    For FAFSA, it really doesn't matter. Some states asks additional questions and if so you'll have to answer them. Some schools award their own FA based on the FAFSA, but that's up to them. The federal aid (Pell, loans) will be the same no matter which state you put down. Your instate/OOS tuition status usually depends on where your parents live even if you are a resident of another state.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 66,706 Senior Member
    Iknow FAFSA differs between the two states, and I'm confused entirely on the matter itself.

    Please explain how you know that the fafsa is different between the two states. What IS the difference?

    It sounds like your permanent address is Indiana. It is where your parents live, where you have all of your documentation (drivers license, etc): and is where you receive your mail!

    How old are you? Why are you living in Chicago? Are you in high school...or college?
  • SoapethSoapeth Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    The difference between the states in aid is deadlines and state grants. Choosing a permanent address is important in the matter, as I wouldn't be eligible for this year's grants from Indiana.

    To specify my situation, after some complications at home it was decided that I'd be better off staying with another side of my family in Illinois for the time being. I don't know if I'll decide to stay permanently towards this years end if I'm still here, and I'm just worried about it being legal as I wasn't exactly prepared for this problem.

    I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I'd like to use my home in Indiana as my permanent address still, as I don't know if this will become a permanent arrangement. And in the case that it does, if it's alright to make my current address (Illinois) my new permanent address towards the end of this year.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 66,706 Senior Member
    You don’t have to answer these questions here... it you probably DO want to know the answers.

    1.is this a court pointed guardianship...or are you just residing with relatives in an informal agreement?

    In the vast majority of cases, permanent residency for a student is the adddress where their parents reside. Kids go to school OOS, but that doesn’t change their actual permanent residency. UNLESS they are placed into a guardianship situation in another state...or parental rights are terminated.

    You need to look at the requirements for residency for aid purposes in Indiana. It is very possible that you could still be eligible for Indiana aid...because your permanent address is Indiana.

    OTOH...some state aid requires that a student graduate from HS in that state.

    2. It is very possible that you won’t wualify for Illinois grant aid...because really, your permanent address is Indiana...But see my comment above about court appointed guardianship vs informal arrangements.

    3. Why would you change your permanent address to Illinois?

  • SoapethSoapeth Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    The arrangement of me staying in Illinois for the time being was definitely an informal agreement.

    As for why I'd change it eventually, I was under the impression that I had to if I stay here long enough. I wasn't sure if I could legally keep my permanent address as my Indiana residence during this year, and possibly the next, given I'd be staying in Illinois nearly the whole time.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 66,706 Senior Member

    Are you a HS student? Are you under age 18?
  • SoapethSoapeth Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    College student in my second year, aged 19.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 66,706 Senior Member
    edited January 12
    Here is my opinion.

    You really are a resident for college financial purposes of Indiana...because that is where your parents reside.

    You can become a resident of Illinois by doing as others have noted...drivers license, car registration, jobs, rental, voter registration, etc. BUT that does NOT mean you will be entitled to Illinois state grant aid...or instate tuition at their public universities.

    Your parents live in Indiana...and that is their domicile. As an undergraduate student...you are a resident of Indiana for grant aid and tuition purposes.

    Is that what you are wondering about?

    You can be a legal resident of a state...but still not be entitled to instate aid or tuition...as an undergrad.
Sign In or Register to comment.