Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers
NYU Noncustodial CSS late and no financial aid award
Hi! I’m new to the group so hope I’m doing this correctly! I would love some advice or sympathy. My daughter has wanted to attend NYU since 2nd grade - it was a dream of hers and we all supported it. I am divorced and her father and I don’t make much money - NYU is expensive! We were hopeful for a reasonable financial aid package. To help us I hired a service and they fill out the FAFSA, the CSS etc and submitted it. I thought I was fairly on top of it and him but clearly wasn’t. The noncustodial CSS wasn’t submitted on time. I called NYU financial aid and they said just get it in and you will be considered - the woman I spoke to refused to give me her name. They guy I hired for help didn’t say much but got it in. We applied ED and my DD was accepted! Yay! We were so happy! We opened thatfinancail aid package and NYU offered us nothing - nada - zilch -zero. Pell Grant, work study, loans. That’s it! We appealed the decision and asked for reconsideration, I was told yesterday that because the noncustodial CSS was late that we weren’t considered for any grants or scholarships and that can’t change and it stands for four years. Imagine my devastation. This seems so cruel. The guy I hired contends it was done on time. He has proof and said he will talk to NYU today, that it was a glitch linking them in a new system. But when I put all the pieces together I think it simply fell through the cracks. I feel so foolish and keep retracing those days looking at all I could have done differently. I was disappointed when I saw the original package, stunned even, but decided to work a lot more and just pay NYU (it’s a unique voice program
In Steinhardt she was accepted to). But now, knowing we weren’t considered I wonder if we would have gotten aid and how much! I understand NYU is not a generous school for that, but any amount would have helped! We had a EFC of zero, her grades and test scores were average for NYU. Has anyone been in this situation? Any advice? At this point I’m still hoping for humanity on the part of NYU, and having DD apply for any scholarships she can get her hands on!!! Needless to say, I’m losing a lot of sleep about it!