Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Son's Merit Scholarship OOS chances - Class of '19 (probable NMF)

13»

Replies to: Son's Merit Scholarship OOS chances - Class of '19 (probable NMF)

• CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN Registered User Posts: 2,893 Senior Member
    He would get the Pierre Marquette scholarship at Marquette, which you can see by using the NPC. You might look into what other scholarships exist and how they are awarded.
  • prodesseprodesse Registered User Posts: 1,313 Senior Member
    If he gets to National Merit Semifinalist, he is likely to be a Finalist, and that opens up some great options.

The actual National Merit scholarships are small, but quite a few schools offer large automatic scholarships to lure NMFs to attend.

I hope the OP is reading the National Merit threads. There is much excitement about pending legislation in Florida that would be HUGE for out-of-state NMFs. Even if that doesn't pass, University of Central Florida is really rolling out the welcome mat for NMFs. Full ride plus, honors college, etc.
  • LOUKYDADLOUKYDAD Registered User Posts: 785 Member
    edited March 10
    May not work well in all cases, but if you can be in a situation where you apply to a safety school (or schools) he would be happy to attend that also offer automatic merit based on either his stats or NMF status, that is a great place to be. Then you can add other schools that may be more appealing to him, but where the merit is more difficult and competitive to get.
  • am9799am9799 Registered User Posts: 813 Member
    My D applied to 8 schools and she had to write at least 10 unique essays.It was a killer. One of the schools had three extra essays for honors/scholarships that they were very specific and each one in a different format. The other school asked for more creative, personal reflecting questions. In theory I guess one could reuse some essays but my D found that not realistic for the quality of the essays she wanted to produce. That was a surprise to me as originally I thought that you pretty much recycle a couple essays but that was not true. Her common app essay was the easiest for her to write and it was done very early in the process.
    Having said all that your kid might be lucky and find more overlap among the schools he chooses to apply. But don't assume anything before you sit down and look at all the prompts.
  • UTSquaredUTSquared Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    I don't know much about the NMF system, but with those stats it should get in-state tuition at South Carolina, at a bare minimum.
  • gearmomgearmom Registered User Posts: 3,885 Senior Member
    UAH - best value but also look at U of Arizona.
  • VAMom23VAMom23 Registered User Posts: 451 Member
    That 35 can be elusive. But he will do fine with the 34. Univ. S. Carolina will allow him to stack NMF on top of other awards. At a minimum, he would probably get In state Tuition, plus the Elite, and add on NMF. And he could qualify for Top Scholars which is even more money. Apply before 10/15. He will then get an invite to apply to the Honors College, which is due 11/15.
    I will say that with those statistics, pick a few "reach" schools too. He may get some nice packages. Good luck.
13»