Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I am getting NO grants/scholarships.


Replies to: I am getting NO grants/scholarships.

  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 14,279 Senior Member
    edited March 11
    Moving with your mom to California will not get you instate residency in California unless you do so a year before enrolling in any college.

    You have received advice here but it is not the advice that you want to hear.
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,409 Senior Member
    edited March 11
    Okay so I applied to UCSB and UCLA (99% sure i wont get in here)
    *Out of State student. . . . . . I applied to schools on the west coast as there is a great possibility that my mom will be moving there soon. If I go to an instate school, well still get in state tuition because of my dad’s residency.

    I agree with @TomSrOfBoston
    You have also received little or no guidance in your choice of colleges, or you ignored that guidance. You applied to the UC's as an OOS student. No financial aid at all regardless of your parents' income or relationship.

    CSULB is a California Public school funded by the California taxpayers. You will be expected to pay full fees of $40K per year. California residency rules are strict for non-residents; they know all of the tricks. https://www.ucop.edu/residency/establishing-residency.html

    Has your mother researched how much our rents and mortgages are in California? Is this your idea? You won't be given instate status until your mother has established residency, paid California taxes, has rental/mortgage receipts, for at least a year. Has your mother researched how difficult it is to gain employment in California and get a decent livable wage?

    Our costs of living in California are ridiculously expensive. You may find out that living in California will be more expensive than paying OOS fees. No, you can't find some little place and pay cheap rent because there really are no cheap rentals, unless you move out to the farming cities which are nowhere near the universities where you have applied.

    I agree with @thumper1, if you can afford OSU, you may want to go there.
  • NJRoadieNJRoadie Forum Champion Rowan, Forum Champion TCNJ Posts: 588 Forum Champion
    I will throw in that I don't see how the child support ends when your older brother finishes college. My friends that are divorced with kids don't tell me that is how it works for them. In fact, one of them just feels railroaded because the child support was extended (this is in NJ, so YMMV).

    Listen to the advice here, these folks give excellent guidance, and you are right to avoid massive debt from the get go, even if it means a "lesser" choice such as community college, or a gap year where you work your ass off to earn money, take no classes, and apply more wisely. Best of luck!
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 19,565 Senior Member
    States are all over the place on child support, how much is awarded, how long it lasts. NJ is an exception rather than the rule that it must go through college or the amount to be contributed toward college.
  • gearmomgearmom Registered User Posts: 3,885 Senior Member
    @PastaKween YOU cannot take out more loans than the Stafford. How much can your mother alone afford each year. You cannot count on her qualifying for loans year after year. Do you have ANY affordable option?
Sign In or Register to comment.