Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Out of state fees?

Replies to: Out of state fees?

• photoforrealphotoforreal Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    I meant it to say that my family can only provide me about $200. So it's not realistic my parents don't have 11k. Yeah 5k is not enough...thanks.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 36,732 Senior Member
    edited March 13
    So, your EFC is 11,000 but your parents can afford to pay for books, at most. You need a full ride on merit, which means you need a college that will grant you that for your sat/act score. What is it?
    What state do you live in?
    Note that if you attend community'college and commute, you could 'bank' your freshman and sophomore federal loans for your last two years - however there are no full rides for transfers. So if you truly need a full ride you're better off taking a Gap year, working, working in your art, saving, and applying for merit scholarships based on your sat/act score. If it's not high enough, you can retake till graduation, you can still register for the April act and there's a sat in may, if those scores are higher than your current ones they'd count for scholarships.
    What do the NPCs indicate for the last 2 colleges?
    SAT: 1280. I'm in CA. What do you mean "bank" my freshman and sophomore year. Community college I'm sure I can save up enough by August. What is an NPC? I'm sorry there are so many levels to this and I'm very confused.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 68,988 Senior Member
    No...your EFC is $11,000.

It sounds like your family can only PAY $200.

With an $11,000 EFC, is your parent AGI below $80,000? I would guess it would be. If so...did you apply in CA where you would get the Calgrant??
    I did not apply to a school in CA. My parents plan to move to WA soon so I'm stuck. I never received any info on the Calgrant. Do I get that if I apply to community? I have little direction from my counselors. You all are really helping me.
    That's why I was just going to go to CC if I didn't get enough from an NYC school.
    The deadline to apply for Calgrant for the upcoming year was March 2. That ship has sailed.
    I'm not a CA resident yet I moved from TX 8 months ago. I probably wast eligible anyway.
    Yeah I know I don't have affordable college right now. I'm broke but want to be successful. America's college education is insanely overpriced. Everyone should have an opportunity to become educated and get a degree. The fact that education is a PRIVILEGE is disgusting.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 3,542 Senior Member
    I would take a gap year. The biggest savings for community college is often the free rent you get living with your parents, and they're moving. Where in Washington are they going and when?
    edited March 13
    And check costs...you might be paying OOS costs at that community college in WA.
    They're always moving though it's not like I'd be there long enough to get residency.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 17,410 Senior Member
    Take the gap year, become instate for California, and go to one of the excellent, excellent community colleges in CA.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,265 Senior Member
    She can't become CA resident if parents are moving again.

• AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 3,542 Senior Member
    NPC is Net price calculators -- this is how you estimate the financial aid you might be getting before you apply

https://collegecost.ed.gov/netpricecenter.aspx

How often do your parents move? You may need to look for a generous private college where your financial aid does not depend on your residency.