Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Out of state fees?


Replies to: Out of state fees?

  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,274 Senior Member
    As long as you depend financially on your parents, your state residency will be tied to where they have state residency.

    You probably won't be able to earn enough working, to pay for your own apartment, utilities, food, plus going to school.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid Posts: 83,388 Forum Champion
    I was actually asking about OOS fees for a different school so you were actaully assuming.

    I didn’t assume anything. In your thread about Parsons, you mention having to pay OOS fees.

    Yes, you’re also asking about FIT, but in your Parson’s thread, you mention OOS fees...https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/2063324-parsons-school-of-design-worth-it-p1.html
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 3,543 Senior Member
    How would you feel about Utah? As a California or Washington resident, you might get WUE (partial discount off out of state fees) and they are one of the few schools that lets you get state residency if you work and stay in state for 12 months even if your parents don't live there.

    Another school that comes up a lot is U Minnesota, Morris which has minimal out of state fees.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid Posts: 83,388 Forum Champion
    My grades and test scores are pointless now if I can't pay to attend. I'll just do community. Thanks for help.

    Not necessarily. There may be other schools that will give you what you need. What are your test scores and GPA ?
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 2,217 Senior Member
    OPs sat is 1280, CC is a fine option. Why do your parents move so much? Not military?
    It might be a time to consider getting some kind of job with tuition benefits and work your way through school if you cannot rely on a stable home environment. Look at a longer trajectory, or getting some kind of vocational qualification to start you off and work from there.
    WUE/UMINN are not feasible for OOS kid who can afford nada. OP has no state of residency?
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 36,747 Senior Member
    Your best bet is likely to take a Gap year because you're probably not instate in California. Move to wa with a parent as soon as you've graduated, or at least one parent should establish a home in WA asap. Work to save money. Then apply as a freshman to all instate programs you can.
    If you've only lived in CA for 8 months I don't know if you'll qualify for instate tuition - anybody knows? However, on the list of colleges that miscalculated yield NACAC publishes in May, there are sometimes CA public universities (UCM, Humboldt) where you may have a shot and if you graduate from a CA high school public universities may consider you instate, too.
    It seems you fell through the cracks regarding calgrants....
    Register for the sat and act, prepare seriously, bring those scores up as much as you can -1280 will not result in a full ride anywhere they I know of.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 69,013 Senior Member
    @MYOS1634 OP is homeschooled.

    I believe your parents must have residency in CA for at least 12 months prior to your college enrollment to be considered an instate resident. If you have only been there 8 months...and they are moving on...that residency would likely not happen.

    In addition, you do not qualify for the Calgrant...you haven’t lived there long enough.

    Again I ask...have your parents considered the college cost implications of NOT having instate status for tuition purposes? Simply put...paying OOS rates just might be a LOT more money than any raise your parent gets by moving.

    Do both of your parents work? Or just one?

  • photoforrealphotoforreal Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    Just one works. It's not their problem. They aren't paying for my college so i'm stuck with OOS fees.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 3,543 Senior Member
    edited March 13
    Your parents are an issue because financial aid regulations won't give you full independence until age 24, so their residency affects your tuition and their income counts on your FAFSA.

    Let's assume we can find a school that is generous with financial aid. Will they fill out the forms necessary to get you that aid?
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 36,747 Senior Member
    Then you really need to prepare the sat and act like your future depends on these scores, because otherwise you're stuck.... The parents are supposed to be responsible for their kids' college costs. There's no system that allows the kid to have fewer costs (or where the college picks up the tab) if the parents won't pay. The only way for you to go to college is for you to live in the same state they do and work full time till they've been in that state for enough months that it'll be 12 months in August when you start college, hoping your test scores qualify you for a full tuition scholarship. OR wait till you're 24 or are married.
  • gearmomgearmom Registered User Posts: 3,882 Senior Member
    Do you think OP could try Berea?
  • photoforrealphotoforreal Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    They'll fill out any aid as long as they are not responsible for payment.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 36,747 Senior Member
    Ok, that's something at least.
    Yes, Berea might be possible - it's means tested so he'd have to read up on it to see if she/he is financially eligible.
  • photoforrealphotoforreal Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    That seems insanely unfair. It's not my fault my parents didn't finance my education. I guess I'll have to make a big choice. :(
  • photoforrealphotoforreal Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    Where can I find more info about Berea? What is it?
Sign In or Register to comment.