Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please note that there will be maintenance work done at 9:00am ET Friday, June 22nd. While it is very unlikely, this may result in 15 minutes maximum of downtime. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

Easy way to figure out who offers merit aid?

2»

Replies to: Easy way to figure out who offers merit aid?

• christinelinchristinelin Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    @Sybylla: agreed -- in the end I want to benchmark, but for starters I just want to know where merit is even possibly on the table. It's a place for me to start my research.
  • christinelinchristinelin Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    Here's what I got from collegedata, which is what I really wanted -- percentage of students getting merit at each school:

Boston University 7
    Bucknell 11
    Carleton 3
    Chicago 0
    Claremont McKenna 4
    Colby 0
    Colgate 0
    Davidson 4
    George Washington 35
    Georgetown 0
    Grinnell 16
    Haverford 0
    Johns Hopkins 1
    Lehigh 4
    Macalester 15
    Middlebury 1
    Northwestern 4
    Notre Dame 11
    Rhodes 34
    Rice 9
    St. John's 38
    Swarthmore 1
    Trinity College 2
    Tulane 36
    U of Richmond 11
    USC 24
    Villanova 12
    Wake Forest 2
    Washington & Lee 7
    Washington U in St. Louis 11
    William & Mary 19
    Wisconsin 10
  • liska21liska21 Registered User Posts: 455 Member
    edited March 13
    @christinelin Here is a table I assembled on small liberal arts colleges. One of the the columns is % of students getting merit aid and another is average size of merit aid award. This data was assembled from the collegedata website. Some of your schools are in my tables.

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19801988/#Comment_19801988

Similar to your data above but with average merit aid award added.
  • LoveTheBardLoveTheBard Registered User Posts: 1,732 Senior Member
    add Kenyon to the list.

The NYT and/or Kiplingers used to have a table of schools providing merit, the percentage receiving merit, and the average amount, but I can't find it now.

CollegeData has a wealth of information for everything, including merit, admissions stats, programs, what criteria schools look at for admissions, etc.

• liska21liska21 Registered User Posts: 455 Member
    @LoveTheBard On my table (see comment #18), I have links to the NY Times table and a similar table from WA Post.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid Posts: 83,371 Forum Champion
    There is something odd about that 11% for Notre Dame. They are notoriously stingy with merit. However, since they do struggle with ethnic diversity, i’ve been told that they do offer some merit (awards may be endowed) to URM applicants to entice them to enroll. If you’re not a URM, then expect nothing.
  • LoveTheBardLoveTheBard Registered User Posts: 1,732 Senior Member
    @mom2collegekids - To the contrary, Notre Dame does offer a bunch of merit scholarships. While some may be slated for URMs, others are strictly based on academic achievement and/or leadership:

https://meritscholarships.nd.edu/scholarships/
  • hafamamahafamama Registered User Posts: 252 Junior Member
    Based on my interactions on CC (reading and posting), that 11% for Notre Dame does seem off. I would guess it's more accurate to say half of that figure.
    If we're talking about merit aid to all students, here's my understanding from the most recent CDS:
    Merit aid was awarded to 388 full time undergraduates (excluding athletes; including freshmen) "who had no financial need." There were 8,509 full time undergraduates (including freshmen). This seems to calculate to 4.5% if I'm doing my math correctly. (BIG disclaimer: I'm very far from a math person)
2»