Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

FIT out of state costs

photoforrealphotoforreal Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
So I am still waiting to hear from FIT in NYC. It costs $43,043 per year for out of state and dorm. In state is $29,521 per year in state with dorm. Does this mean, after four years, I will have to pay $172,172 (43,043 x 4) after graduating or $131,606 (29,521 x 3= 88,563 + 43,043)? Will I pay out of state for one year and pay the other three years in state since I would be living there? FIT is a cheaper NYC school, is it worth it to be in NYC and get the connections I need to be in the art industry? I could get an apartment with a roommate after my first year and it would be $14,163 annually after gaining residency meaning I would pay $85,532 after graduating and pay about $600-1k a month in rent. Thanks for the help!

Replies to: FIT out of state costs

• Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,604 Super Moderator
    You will not be considered in-state after a year. Residency explicitly doesn't include time as a student.
  • photoforrealphotoforreal Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    Even after I get an apartment?
    Yes.

https://www.fitnyc.edu/bursar/residency/new-york-state.php
    Applicants must present evidence of emancipation and an established New York State domicile in order to be designated as New York State residents for tuition purposes. Proof of emancipation must include documentation demonstrating financial independence.

Anyone claimed on a parental Federal or State tax return as a dependent is by definition domiciled with that parent.
    Thank you so much! Very helpful!
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 70,475 Senior Member
    Your parents would need to relocate to NY at least 12 months prior to your enrollment at FIT.

Even with that...the school does not guarantee to meet full need...so you probably would be paying the full cost of attendance.

You are from CA. Are you saying there are NO colleges in the whole CA public university system where you could have applied?

Are you Calgrant eligible?
    Again no. My parents and I didnt plan on staying here for more than a year. I'd assume no I'm not a resident.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 70,475 Senior Member
    You know....with all the moving around you are talking about...you probably will never have instate residency...anywhere...for public universities.

Has your family ever considered the financial ramifications of all these moves...and your college costs? If they stay put long enough...you would have instate status.

Are you attending a public high school in CA? How many years have you been at that school?
    It's part of my dads job so for him to earn more we have to move but it doesn't hurt them financially just me. I'm attending an accredited homeschool program. It will a year in Aug.
    Moderator's Note: This thread is similar to two others so I will close this one and additional discussion can take place in https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/2063326-out-of-state-fees.html#latest
This discussion has been closed.