Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

4 Ways to Increase Odds of Winning College Scholarships

Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,586 Senior Member
"High school students can win college scholarships for a variety of reasons. So it might be tempting to fill a resume with many experiences in the hopes of catching the attention of a scholarship committee.

Instead, consider strategically making the most of your high school years. There are plenty of ways you can strengthen your scholarship applications while pursuing your passions inside and outside of the classroom. Here are four of the most common ways you can become a competitive scholarship applicant." ...

https://www.usnews.com/education/scholarship-search-insider/articles/2018-03-29/4-ways-to-increase-odds-of-winning-college-scholarships

Replies to: 4 Ways to Increase Odds of Winning College Scholarships

• PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 2,999 Senior Member
    Interesting that the cited article never once uses the word "leadership".

Thank you for posting this article.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 7,875 Senior Member
    I recommend that anyone looking for advice on scholarships read anything posted by @CourtneyThurston . She had amazing success with scholarships: https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/other-major-scholarships-competitions/1901217-i-won-292-500-in-outside-scholarships-and-almost-425k-total-my-story-p1.html
  • CourtneyThurstonCourtneyThurston Registered User Posts: 1,299 Senior Member
    Thanks for tagging me, @Lindagaf

I'm happy to help however I can.

The outside scholarship game is a bit of a toss-up. I personally had a lot of success with national/international scholarships, and almost NO success with local scholarships. Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason for these things.
  • Mom169Mom169 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I just want to help the ones who will apply to top colleges. This can be helpful for your grad school, also. It is an advice that is given by college advisors after charging thousands, but I just found out about it. It is late to help mine, but it will definitely help if you do it ASAP. Remember, helping a few dozen kids with STEM program will not be enough, but recruiting helpers and reaching out to several thousands of low income students will guarantee acceptance to Harvard and more. It isn't difficult at all to reach out to thousands when you count everyone who shows up even if they don't show up every gathering. More than few students used this method over the years, and they got huge scholarship based on community service and acceptance to almost every college. See the link: Post #790. Don't wait until fall. Start the volunteering group now and grow it. Even for a grad school, this will help since college puts heavy emphasis on community service.

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/harvard-university/2041489-harvard-university-class-of-2022-rd-thread-p53.html
  • kelsmomkelsmom Registered User Posts: 14,923 Senior Member
    I work at a grad school, and we don't care a whit about community service. We do care very much about experience in the field of study, however.