Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Notre Dame Vs Santa Clara

Replies to: Notre Dame Vs Santa Clara

• SylvestorSylvestor Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    @CowboyBruin What did your son decide?
    I guess its worth noting, I also go Presidential Scholarship at University of Oregon Honor's College which is essential full tuition, preferred registration and preferred housing.
  • CowboyBruinCowboyBruin Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    He's at ND. He kinda split the difference when it came to cost. SCU cost the least, Stanford cost the most and ND was in the middle between the two. We could afford ND and they've been very good to him.

Our next son is currently choosing between Brown, ND and UCLA.

ND was great and contacted me suggesting we submit early for financial aid for our older son so they could process them together and we could look at their awards jointly. They were very generous, and I have found them to be very consistent even through my income fluctuates too.. He's being flown back there this weekend for Reilly Weekend and we'll see what he decides. Brown will cost us significantly more. UCLA will end up essentially the same as ND.

My guess is that you'll figure out if ND is the place for you this weekend.
  • suzy100suzy100 Registered User Posts: 5,409 Senior Member
    OP, have your parents call and schedule a visit with the Financial Aid office when you are there. I did this with my first D, who is now a junior there. I had concerns about whether FA would stay relatively stable, etc. They will be able to answer all of their questions and get some clarity for your parents.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister, and hope she is doing well.
  • hafamamahafamama Registered User Posts: 253 Junior Member
    OP Congratulations on your admits! You have good choices, although they are all different schools. You mentioned that you have full tuition and honors at your instate flagship. Would Univ. of Oregon be your least expensive option? Have you ruled it out, or is it in the mix? I'm wondering since you ask only about SCU vs. ND.
    Like has been suggested above, your campus visits may help you decide. You may end up preferring SCU after all, making this question a non-issue.
    But if you're even a little on the fence, then definitely talk to an ND FA rep during your visit. Maybe your parents have other medical bills that were not reflected in your FAFSA or CSS Profile, which may affect your aid. You've heard from ND parents, and they are better informed than I am about their experience with ND FA. In my limited experience, it seems that ND will do what it can to help you, if you really want to go. As an aside, congratulations on your direct admit to Mendoza. From what I hear, it's not only an outstanding business school, but the alumni network is legendary.
    Good luck on your road to college. Also sending best wishes to your twin.
    @hafamama University of Oregon and SCU financially are mostly a push. SCU gave full tuition for 4 years with stipends for extras that I am not real clear on. U of O gave me Presidential Scholarship which is a flat 15,000 a year. For next year it would basically cover Tuition at U of O's Honor College but not any tuition increases. My sister most likely will be in Eugene Oregon at NW Christian but I would kind of like to get away. U of O seems like high school 2.0 to me. It is 90 minutes from my house.
    @suzy100 My mom called ND financial aid office today and she said they were pretty dismissive and abrupt. They wouldn't make an appointment with us when we are there and said to just "drop in." I am not sure what to say when we are there. I am surprised they weren't more helpful on the phone. Any suggestions? Should I let them know about my SCU Presidential Scholarship or will they not even care?
    Would it be better if I talked to Financial Aid department instead of my Mom?
    Right now, it seems that you're focused on cost. Of course, this is a very important factor, esp. given the concern regarding fluctuating family income. If I understand correctly, you have free tuition at Univ. of Oregon and Santa Clara and need to cover just R&B for both. (You said you live 90 minutes away, and I don't expect that you would commute daily.) You received $40,000 from Notre Dame. Your initial post seems to be, is Notre Dame worth twice the cost of what you'd pay for Santa Clara?
    First, I have to say that Univ. of Oregon has about 19,000 undergraduates alone, and a total population of almost 23,000 students. So consider these numbers when you think about the state flagship being like high school part 2.
    Second, you must find out if SCU guarantees on-campus housing for all four years. It's in a very expensive location, so if you have to move off campus after freshman year, this may add a lot to the cost. Alternatively, if you find people to room with, your costs may go down, and make SCU even cheaper than Univ. of Oregon. As was suggested above, post on the SCU board, if you haven't done so already. Also, you'll need to add in travel costs when comparing SCU to Univ. of Oregon.
    Third, if you really have your heart set on Notre Dame, then why not contact the FA office personally -- it's worth a shot. I don't know if they consider "matching" other school's financial aid offers. You may want to contact the admissions counselor for your region for more information.
    https://admissions.nd.edu/connect/find-your-counselor/
    Maybe he/she can give you some guidance with how to proceed with the FA office. I can see your reluctance to just drop in during your visit, but if that seems to be the practice, then, as I suggested above, I'd be prepared to discuss what you think should be considered that may not have been included in your FAFSA or CSS profile (maybe medical bills or changed circumstances in the family business, or your twin's college costs, or other considerations)
    Finally, you said that ND's package is $40,000. This means ND has already offered to cover 75% of tuition. I realize it's not enough for your family given the entire cost of attendance, but IMO it's a pretty good offer.
    Good luck!
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 72,399 Senior Member
    My kid is a SCU alum. There is housing available all four years. Lots of kids do move off campus near the school. There are a lot of houses and apartments. When my kid moved off campus, it didn’t save us money, but it didn’t cost us more either. But she did share a 4 bedroom, very convenient house with 6 others!

To the OP....when you go to ND, bring a copy of your SCU award with you. The issue I see here...SCU gave you a merit award. ND gave you need based aid...right? ND doesn’t give a LOT of merit awards.

Is there anything ND should be considering in terms of you application for need based aid? Has anything changed since you applied for aid? If so, bring documentation of THAT too.
  • suzy100suzy100 Registered User Posts: 5,409 Senior Member
    OP, I'm sorry (and surprised) they weren't more helpful. I'd have whatever parent is going with you (you can go too) talk to them with the questions and concerns they have. There are no dumb questions. One thing to think - and ask - about is what your aid will look like when your sister graduates. I hope they are more helpful in person.
  • momcincomomcinco Registered User Posts: 1,069 Senior Member
    OP, you have some great options and I think it is great that you are approaching this with finances in mind.

You are getting some good feedback on this thread.

I only wanted to say don't put too much weight on one phone call with fin aid office. It's an overwhelming time of year for them, too. Have your documentation in order and know your figures ahead of time.
  • momcincomomcinco Registered User Posts: 1,069 Senior Member
    PS we have one nephew at ND and two nieces at Santa Clara. All are having wonderful experiences.
    edited April 10
    OP, how was your visit to Notre Dame? Were you able to speak to a financial aid officer?
    I thought Notre Dame was great. I loved the atmosphere but my Mom was a bit skeptical when a professor told me I had the "Golden Ticket" when he saw my name tag that said "Mendoza- Finance" My Mom just thought it was a bit over the top. We did go see someone in the Financial Aid. They were a bit nicer than they were on the phone but still not very helpful on what I might receive for Financial Aid in the future. I am not sure what my Mom will do. After a great visit, we left on bit of a down note after talking to Financial Aid.