Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A university denied my scholarship after having paid the confirmation fee in time.

Replies to: A university denied my scholarship after having paid the confirmation fee in time.

• turtletimeturtletime Registered User Posts: 1,034 Senior Member
    @MaineLonghorn Um, Did I say the school was at fault? I said it was a sad situation. Since it’s not yet May 1st, there might be a chance to call other schools that op had been accepted too and see if they were still options. If there any schools they can afford but didn’t already notify they wouldn’t be attending, that much the easier. That’s what I suggested. I don’t really see how that could have riled you up.

It can all be legal and upfront and still totally suck.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 34,424 Super Moderator
    edited April 30
    I didn't write post #6, but I was mistaken, too. That sounds terrible. :(

And post #6 was written on April 16, AFTER the OP's first and last visit to the site on April 15.
  • calmomcalmom Registered User Posts: 19,451 Senior Member
    edited April 30
    Sorrry -- I see now that it was Sybbie's post with a Moderator's note at the top - so sorry for assuming it was your post.

But I think the same message being conveyed if the OP had come back. He would have seen that post with the very prominent note. So my point is that might have deterred him from posting again.

I assume that he was scrambling all over the place and probably ended up connecting with the other students mentioned in the article through facebook or twitter.

II'm just wondering why the interval of 1 or 2 days would be significant in terms of divining intent as to whether the OP intended to return? Yes, he only posted once but in a lot of parts of the world internet access is not so easy or reliable, so definiteliy not always an everyday thing.
  • Leducate2018Leducate2018 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    "I attended a private college in my home state and during the last week of the first semester they converted a grant to a loan."

What prompted that change?! Can they do this after you sign the enrollment and all fa forms? OMG
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 26,517 Senior Member
    This is a very touching situation. I'm grateful for the efforts of Joan Liu and others.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 6,677 Senior Member
    @Leducate2018, Everyone had to visit the bursar at the end of the semester. Mine wasn't the only package that was changed. It was a private college and this was a lot of years ago, but it was their money so they could do what they wanted. Do colleges still do that? I'd never heard of it 'til now.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 11,314 Senior Member
    UT Tyler’s offer of a scholarship was a promise, perhaps even a moral contract. A university spokesman asserted that the university had done nothing illegal. That is for a court to decide, but the legality of what UT Tyler did doesn’t matter. The moral obligation imposed by the promise takes precedence.

When Temple in PA offered their automatic stats-based scholarships and too many kids took them up on it, they switched to a competitive model but honored their agreement to the students they already had accepted (and honored it for all 4 years), even though it was a budget buster. O

Tyler should have done the same. The UT system should step up. And if they can't afford scholarships they shouldn't offer them. Especially as they simultaneously demand deposits ahead of May 1.

I really feel for these kids.

https://www.insidehighered.com/admissions/views/2018/05/07/scandal-university-texas-tylers-treatment-nepalese-students-among-worst
  • Ro0shanRo0shan Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Though I am not a US permanent resident, I had confirmed with the university that this scholarship was available to International students. I think this is why I received the scholarship in January on the first hand but got it revoked two months later in April even though I had confirmed the scholarship on January.
  • calmomcalmom Registered User Posts: 19,451 Senior Member
    Here's another article detailing the process that has led to the current status of the students from Nepal. Unfortunately many still do not have places, and some have been offered financial aid packages that fall short of actual need:
    https://www.chronicle.com/article/These-Nepali-Students-Saw/243349