Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A university denied my scholarship after having paid the confirmation fee in time.

Replies to: A university denied my scholarship after having paid the confirmation fee in time.

• calmomcalmom Registered User Posts: 19,924 Senior Member
    Also, sometimes taking a path other than what you had expected might yield many positive outcomes.
    I am so glad you feel this way! I share your philosophy -- and I can think of many reasons why this experience may turn out to create even more opportunities for you. I hope you will come back to post next year to let us know how things go for you.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,232 Senior Member
    Do come back to tell us how things are going. And I hope other students are being helped in other ways, too.
    UT Tyler should pay a price for this, because they broke a contract. Also, other UT's should have pitched in.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 2,579 Senior Member
    I'm so pleased that you returned to tell us your good news. That whole situation with UT was rotten and unethical.
  • Ro0shanRo0shan Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Though I have been placed, there were 61 of us who faced this tragedy. As of now less than 20 students have been placed. There are still 40 or more students who don't know where they are going this fall for their studies.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 11,746 Senior Member
    UT Tyler should pay a price for this, because they broke a contract. Also, other UT's should have pitched in.

They claim they can't. I don't buy it.

Disgraceful.

@Ro0shan I am very happy to hear about your new opportunity with SUNY Korea! Korea and NY both sounds amazing and I wish you the best!
    I just read an Chronicle of Higher Ed article about this. I don't want to post the link because I think our OP is named in it. But it is a very good explanation of what's going on now with the kids who had the rug pulled out from under them by UT-T.
  • Ro0shanRo0shan Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    edited May 14
    @OHMomof2 it's true that I was the one who was named in it.
    Post edited by MaineLonghorn on
    edited May 14
    You can link it if you like - your call @Ro0shan It made me angrier than I already was about this.
  • LucieTheLakieLucieTheLakie Registered User Posts: 3,998 Senior Member
    edited May 14
    That Chronicle of Higher Ed article was shared way back in post #9, and I actually speculated about the OP in post #15 as a possible explanation for why he had not returned to the thread. I personally don't think it's anything to worry about, although @Ro0shan, I think you should delete your surname as that may be a violation of CC's terms of service.

Another article from Inside Higher Ed today:
    The Texas Tribune noted that it would cost $1.7 million a year for UT Tyler to fulfill its promise to the students from Nepal. The annual budget of the UT system and its campuses is $18.3 billion.
    https://www.insidehighered.com/admissions/article/2018/05/14/university-texas-system-apologizes-how-tyler-campus-revoked
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 28,704 Senior Member
    edited May 14
    OP, it's a delight to read your posts, see the strength in your attitude. I don't know if anyone on CC will have connections or influence to help the others. But I wish you all well. And as time passes, you graduate, and go on to your career, I hope you will find ways to help other kids from Nepal. You are an impressive group.
    xx
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 5,448 Senior Member
    @Ro0shan did UTT refund the money you sent them? I sure hope they have!
  • HRSMomHRSMom Registered User Posts: 4,632 Senior Member
    What a crazy story. UTT says:

“We want to compete for top-performing students, and that means recruiting international students,” Roebuck says. “We want to be part of the international community.”

Good luck with that now.

What a shame. Good luck at SUNY Korea OP. Glad NY could step up.
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 4,316 Senior Member
    edited May 14
    While inexcusable, UT-Tyler did offer a significantly reduced scholarship of $5,000 plus in-state tuition (worth about $12,500 per year) instead of the original offer. This was the first year that these full ride scholarships were offered by UT-Tyler.

UT-Tyler is honoring the full ride scholarships to 184 US students & to 35 internationals.

P.S. The unfunded gap appears to be at least $10,000 per year per student.