Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

A university denied my scholarship after having paid the confirmation fee in time.

Ro0shanRo0shan Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
I as an international student applied to different colleges for fall of 2018. Out of these universities, The University of Texas at Tyler had an attractive Scholarship of full tuition, housing & meal, and books. I emailed them if it was available for international students or not, and they confirmed it was available. I applied and got accepted in January. With my acceptance letter, they mentioned that my scholarship would only be confirmed if I paid the freshman confirmation fee of $100 before March 1. I paid the fee immediately on January. On February, they asked for $125 housing deposit and I paid that. Last month they issued my I-20 letter which mentions of my scholarship. I have a Visa interview appointment scheduled in a week. Yesterday, the university emailed me stating that they were out of budget and could no longer offer me the previously promised and confirmed Scholarship. I have rejected the scholarship from other universities as I was sure to go to this university after having received my i-20 and having scheduled my interview. I am totally frustrated now. They say they will give me a scholarship of $5,000 instead of $21,000. I am totally frustrated after having spent a year on the application process. What should be done in such case?

Replies to: A university denied my scholarship after having paid the confirmation fee in time.

• austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 6,984 Senior Member
    edited April 15
    Colleges can change the packages they offer. I attended a private college in my home state and during the last week of the first semester they converted a grant to a loan. If a school runs out of money, I'm not sure there's much you can do. Better to know it now then at the end of your first year when you're no longer eligible for freshman grants at other universities. Have you contacted the other colleges to see if you can reverse your decision?
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 3,549 Senior Member
    I am really sorry that this has happened to you. It is really terrible practice. I would get on the phone to the other schools you turned down for Tyler and see if they would still take you.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,333 Senior Member
    At least I hope they will fully refund your tuition and housing deposit.

Did you get a letter stating that you would receive the scholarship?

Was there any wording that it might depend on availability?
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,113 Senior Member
    Public universities do run out of funds. They are funded by their individual states, so it does happen.
    You need to contact the other universities and ask, before all the monies are used, if you can still accept them.
  • CValleCValle Registered User Posts: 828 Member
    edited April 16
    That is not my understanding. International students are not eligible for federal aid and therefore in most situations they may not be required to fill out the FAFSA - that is not the same as "not eligible to file the FAFSA". In fact some schools require the form to be filled out just to get a record of international students finances.

They schools is saying they require the FAFSA to be filled. Ok, no problem. The kid can fill it out - even if they are not applying for federal aid.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 21,904 Super Moderator
    UT Tyler also says that scholarship funds are limited. The scholarship was never guaranteed to the student. He had to submit his confirmation in order to be considered.

Remember their first obligation will be to the residents of Texas, who are most likely underwiritng these scholarships with their tax dollars
  • college_querycollege_query Registered User Posts: 4,284 Senior Member
    There is a story in the Chronicle of Higher Education about this:

https://www.chronicle.com/article/A-University-in-Texas-Promised/243273
  • turtletimeturtletime Registered User Posts: 1,097 Senior Member
    I guess this is one of those cases for not notifying other colleges that you aren’t attending until the last minute. Such a sad situation. I’d be on the phone with other schools you were accepted to and see if you can still attend (granted you can manage their costs with the lessor scholarships.) so sorry this happened. We would be a wreck if that happened to one of our kids.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,333 Senior Member
    Can you afford the $10,000 a year that UT Tyler would cost?
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 34,955 Super Moderator
    @turtletime, did you read posts #6 and #8? The scholarship was NOT promised to the student. He would be only CONSIDERED once he submitted his confirmation. The school did nothing wrong.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 3,549 Senior Member
    @MaineLonghorn They sent the kid an I-20 with the scholarship before deciding not to fund him. This was a very nasty bait and switch. According to post 9 they did this to a lot of kids.