Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Help this confused Mom please.......

12346»

Replies to: Help this confused Mom please.......

• sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,068 Super Moderator
    edited April 21
    Then you are not eligible for Posse

This means that it is more important to help your son craft a list of schools that are financially feasible options for the family and he will be happy to attend
  • Skippy00Skippy00 Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    @sybbie719 ....yes thank you
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 18,553 Senior Member
    But Skippy says they are eligible for the Pell, so the business assets might not be that large. Worth considering.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 70,372 Senior Member
    How much Pell would a $65000 income net?
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,068 Super Moderator
    @Skippy00 ,

Are you pell eligible because the net price calculator said you are Pell eligible or because you filed a FAFSA that said your child was pell eligible?
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 18,553 Senior Member
    A straight out $65000 income wouldn't get any, or very little, Pell. If the AGI on taxes is lower than $50k, that might get a little. It will depend on family size, what gets added back into income, state taxes, etc. I had a friend who made almost $90k but because of other adjustments the EFC was only about $7k. I couldn't believe it but it was a large state tax that took it down so far. No Pell, but subsidized loans and I think some school grants.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 27,994 Senior Member
    The FAFSA formula is available in PDF format. Google for EFC formula 2019 to get the formula for 2018-2019. You can print it out and work through it on paper.
12346»