Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Help this confused Mom please.......

Skippy00Skippy00 Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
Thought I would start a new thread. I want to avoid unnecessary college visits and application fees so I am trying to understand the way the NPC's work and Need based aid with Merit. Some NPC's include possible merit as well as need based aid correct? So what about Boston University? The NPC includes a need based aid so would I deduct merit award from that net cost to get a possible final net cost?

Replies to: Help this confused Mom please.......

• allyphoeallyphoe Registered User Posts: 1,512 Senior Member
    Need based aid kicks in last. Merit scholarships reduce the amount of need, so reduce the amount of need-based aid.

There's some fine-tuning, where a school may allow merit money to reduce subsidized student loans and/or work-study before reducing grants. But you shouldn't count on that, either.

Consider the NPC results to be a best-case scenario, not something to be further reduced.
  • Skippy00Skippy00 Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    Yes that is what I am afraid of. People keep telling me don't not apply based on cost because you never know what you will get in scholarships but we are on a limited budget and I don't want to get my kids hopes up.
    He is fully willing to take out student loans to pay for his education but I am NOT willing to let him get in debt that high. He keeps saying to me "what is the point of me working hard in school and getting high stats if I am just going to go to a crappy college". Ugh.... this is so hard because I don't want him to give up.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 3,567 Senior Member
    If the NPC asks for grades, test scores, etc then it will estimate both merit and need awards. If the NPC doesn't show merit, then dig a little deeper. It is likely the college offers little or no merit aid.

BU only has a small number of highly competitive merit awards so their NPC makes no promises.
    We can contribute about 5k and he will take out student loan. He does have high stats 97/100 gpa and SAT of 1470. We do qualify for pell grant.
    So his available schools are ones that meet full need and ones with at least full tuition merit scholarships. That's much better than a kid who needs full tuition or better but is ineligible for need-based aid.
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 4,238 Senior Member
    @Skippy00 , take a look at programs like questbridge as well.

If you are Pell grant eligible, odds are that you won't be in an ambiguous FA situation.
    edited April 15
    Yes but does he have a chance at schools that meet full need is the question?
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 34,140 Senior Member
    Maybe Holy Cross, Grinnell, URichmond, or Vassar. They meet need AND are need blind. Then the schools that meet need but aren’t need blind — Carleton, Bates, Case Western, Franklin & Marshall, and URochester are a few he coukd look at.

Anything he could do to boost his SAT a little more would be beneficial, too.
    As good a chance as any, and better than most. I second the suggestion to look at Questbridge.
    He is taking the SAT again next month. What is questbridge?
  • SweetbeetSweetbeet Registered User Posts: 592 Member
    What does be want to study?

Do you have a bisiness, non-custodial parent, or lots of home equity?

Because FAFSA disregards some things, it is possible to be Pell eligible and still have a higher expected contribution on the CSS profile (used by many "meets full need " schools).