Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

CHANCE ME at getting scholarships!

Replies to: CHANCE ME at getting scholarships!

• thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 68,524 Senior Member
    Those schools in DC area? You will be paying out of state rates to attend their community colleges. In addition, the living costs in the greater DC area are VERY high. Please be realistic about how you will fund this. You will get that $5500 Direct Loan, but don’t expect any additional aid from an out of state community college.

U of South Carolina had a very good international relations program. Please look into it.

It doesn’t sound like you will qualify for need based aid based on your parent income...is that correct? So are you hoping for a full ride merit award? Those are highly competitive at any school.

I hate tobe a Debbie downer...but I honestly don’t see you getting 100% funding from any of the schools on your list.
  • galsc01galsc01 Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    @mom2collegekids Wow, okay. Thanks for the reality check haha. One can dream, I guess.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid Posts: 83,279 Forum Champion
    edited May 10
    got a 30 on the ACT and 1360 on SAT, I plan to retake the SAT to get a higher score.

You need to study and retake the ACT because you do better on that test. Your ACT is better than SAT

@thumper1 No no, I could never get a full-ride. But there are so many scholarships out there for me to apply for and I was wondering how realistic it would be for me to collect a nice sum of money from spending time applying to scholarships.

I am perfectly aware of the good international programs at USC. Gamecock fans are practically offended when I say I want to study IB somewhere other than USC, lol.

Yes you are right, my parents would probably not get financial aid :(

And don't apologize for being a downer, I have big dreams, but I also need people pulling me back to reality. Thank you.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid Posts: 83,279 Forum Champion
    edited May 10
    Even if you were to get an ACT 32+ you won’t likely get nearly enough money at the schools you are looking at. You’d need to look much lower
    edited May 10
    @mom2collegekids I did better on ACT because my high English score brought up an abysmal math score.

I'm retaking the SAT because I got about the same score on both (high 600s range), and I felt way more confident and less anxious while taking it. Additionally, Khan Academy, my main form of studying, is specifically geared towards SAT.
    @mom2collegekids Yes, I'm sadly becoming increasingly aware how vital the test scores are for college.
    @mom2collegekids 3 people, about $60,000 is income.... but the maintenance of a sucky house and car, among other financial issues, makes it hard to save money that isn't going to immediate needs.

My parents have already set aside some money for applying, thankfully.
    My parents have already set aside some money for applying, thankfully.

Applying to colleges can cost about $100 per school when you figure app fee, sending scores and may be having to send CSS profile. It is not wise to waste money on schools that won’t work. How many applications can you send out with the money your parents have saved for that purpose
    I got a 30 on the ACT and 1360 on SAT, I plan to retake the SAT to get a higher score.
    Thank you for this information!
    I got a 30 on the ACT and 1360 on SAT, I plan to retake the SAT to get a higher score.
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 4,915 Senior Member
    There are 2 types of money: need based and merit.

You can figure out what you are likely to get in the way of 'need based' aid by doing the calculator on each college's website (though if your parents are self-employed / own their own business / own a lot of property / have complicated legal arrangements the calculators are less reliable). Within 'need based' there are 2 camps: the colleges who consider your need before deciding whether to accept you and the colleges that are 'need blind' (no surprise, there aren't many of those).

Merit aid is basically money that the college offers to encourage student that they really want to come.

Typically, the better your stats are compared to their admitted students the more likely this is to end well for you.

Public (state) universities rarely have much funding for out of state students, so Maryland, Georgia and GMU are unlikely to give you much - if anything. GWU is private, but has a reputation for being stingy with merit aid.

The website collegedata (.com) has detailed info on every college. For example, for GW you can see:

40% acceptance rate, more than 75% in the top 10% of their class
    25% have an ACT score of 33+
    66% (1699) of admitted students asked for need-based aid; GW agreed that 70% of those (1204) needed aid; and gave almost all of them (1188) some aid.
    COA is $70,000; of the ones who got need-based aid, 87% of the their need was met, and the average award was $42K.
    Average amount of merit aid was $19K
    Average debt of graduating students was $33K (remember that the average is for the whole class, not just those who need aid, and that 35% had 0 debt, so the average debt for students who needed aid is rather higher).

Hope that helps you get started figuring out your options. If USC honors college is on the cards for you, that is a **great** option, btw. They are really attracting some good students from far afield.

@collegemom3717 Yes, I am already planning on applying to USC honors, thanks for the tips, I didn't know that about GWU, yikes
  • itsvitsv Registered User Posts: 1,434 Senior Member
    What was your PSAT score? If you get a certain score, have a gpa of 3.5 or higher and are Hispanic, you could qualify as a National Hispanic Scholar under the National Hispanic Recognition Program. Look at the Hispanic Student forum for more details. Some colleges like University of Nebraska and South Carolina give substantial scholarships for it. There is a list in that forum.

I would avoid out of state public universities unless they have the potential for substantial merit money. Most public out of state universities do not give financial aid to OOS students. Two exceptions are Michigan and UVA.

Also get the guide sold by the organization, I'm First. It is very good for first generation students like yourself. Look for the partner colleges, the scholarships for first gen. students and first gen support listings. Website is www.imfirst.org. sign up also for their newsletter.

I would take Georgia off your list. The only scholarship is Stamps and I don't think your test scores are high enough.

Good luck.