Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

CHANCE ME at getting scholarships!

galsc01galsc01 Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
Hello! I will soon become a senior and begin the college application process.

I see how competitive getting scholarships is and am anxious about getting enough financial aid. I am grateful that I have everything I need on a daily basis, but there is no money for college and I don't want to drown in loan debt.

Here are the schools I wish to apply to:
University of South Carolina
University of Maryland
University of Georgia
George Mason University
George Washington University

I hope to major in international business and work in sustainability/ethics in the business world.

Here are some facts about me:
-I am a rising senior from South Carolina
-first-generation American, my parents are Colombian, I speak Spanish fluently
- 4.994/5 gpa
-part of an early college program (I will have about 36 college credits done by the end of high school) at the local community college, plus I am part of the college's Honors Program, Phi Theta Kappa, and I have on their Dean's list for 4 consecutive semesters
-President of the Academic Team
-Founder and Leader of high school's recycling initiative, I was awarded a grant to do this
-Red Cross Club member
-National Honors Society
-regular volunteer at local arts center
-2 internships at the local Democratic party
-required to do 50 service hours per year (though I will end up with much more than that)
-art student and soon-to-be teacher's assistant in art class
-will be attending Girls State program for American Legion this summer

Please give me some feedback in how good scholarships/financial aid offers will be for me.
Thank you so much!

Replies to: CHANCE ME at getting scholarships!

• sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 21,751 Super Moderator
    What are your SAT/ACT scores? You can start by looking in the scholarship section at each school. It will tell you about guaranteed and competitive merit. Have you run the net price calculator?
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 68,543 Senior Member
    University of Maryland
    University of Georgia
    George Mason University
    4.994/5 gpa

As noted by @sybbie719 your SAT or ACT score is a key component to this search for merit aid anyway. Have you taken th SAT? Did you take the PSAT? If so, what was your score?

U of South Carolina has some generous scholarships for high achieving instate students.

Without knowing your SAT or ACT score, really...it’s Impossible to even guess about your scholarship potential.
  • buddyparentbuddyparent Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    As long as your SAT or ACT scores are high enough, you should qualify for the SC Lottery Scholarship money which is automatic at any SC school. Getting merit money as an OOS student at most public universities is difficult except a group,such as Alabama, which have set standards for automatic merit that can be as much as free tuition. Google schools with best merit aid and research those for fit. Though private schools often start with a higher price tag, many of them are more generous with merit which can make them just as affordable as the public schools. Since you are in SC, look at both Wofford and Furman. If your high school guidance counselor did not nominate you as a Furman and Wofford Scholar, get that done immediately. I know the Furman deadline for nominations is June 1st. These give automatic money of at least $5000 annually. There are many students there who got enough merit money to make those schools as affordable as USC, Clemson and CofCharleston. You ought to also consider C of Charleston. Also, Furman has a nationally known sustainability program. If you are a first generation college student as well as first generation American, that helps you qualify for some specific merit money that may not be limited to a particular school.
  • galsc01galsc01 Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    I got a 30 on the ACT and 1360 on SAT, I plan to retake the SAT to get a higher score.
    I got a 30 on the ACT and 1360 on SAT, I plan to retake the SAT to get a higher score.
  • My3KiddosMy3Kiddos Registered User Posts: 246 Junior Member
    If you really want to reduce your overall costs, one thing you may wish to look into is if any of those universities will let you graduate in 3 years with the credits you already have.

Also, if majoring in international business, you may wish to do a study abroad semester and would want to look and see if there are any programs that would allow you to apply any merit scholarships to a study abroad program in a country you are interested in. (My oldest can apply her school's merit scholarship to one study abroad experience that doesn't interest her. IT's going to cost $20,000 to go where she wants to go.)

Also - do you know what your family's EFC is? There may be schools out there that will meet full financial need that you could get accepted to. (Although raising your ACT to 34+ would be extremely helpful in that area)
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,219 Senior Member
    There is a Gilman scholarship that helps Pell eligible students to study abroad I believe.

https://www.iie.org/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program

Also look at critical language scholarships like Boren.

https://www.borenawards.org/
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,219 Senior Member
    U South Carolina has some good merit awards. And great IB program.

Run the net price calculator on school websites, some meet 100% need schools might be affordable, but you will need to be accepted.

Raising your SAT should help.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid Posts: 83,290 Forum Champion
    edited May 10
    How much will your parents pay each year? Ask them, please don’t guess. We see later posts from a lot of disappointed students who thought their parents would pay more.
    There is no money for college. My parents can't pay anything.
    Unfortunately, transferring college credits is usually more a negotiation rather than a guarantee. Besides USC (which has credit agreements with my school), there is no guarantee that credits will transfer.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 68,543 Senior Member
    @galsc01

Where are you transferring credits from? Dual enrollment HS classes?

What is wrong with U of SC? It was my kid’s second choice, and she got a very nice OOS scholarship from the school.

If there is $0 for your college education...then you need to work within that budget.

Is your parent income very low...or do they just not plan to contribute to your college costs?

By completing the FAFSA, you can get the $5500 Direct Loan for your first year. Is there a community college to,hitch you can commute?
    I am doing enrollment through actually college classes at a community college.

USC is great, but I'd preferably like to go to school in the D.C. area because of my career choice and because I'd like to live in a more urban environment. I have also been looking at community colleges in the D.C. area that have bridge programs with colleges there.

My parents are middle-class but with a tight budget, so no we are not low-income, but there is not much extra money laying around.
    @thumper1 I recently visited those colleges in the D.C. area during spring break. I absolutely fell in love with the three colleges and the environment of D.C. (I loooovveed having access to public transportation).

I know wanting to leave SC is a bit unrealistic, but I just wanted to know how competitive of a student I am in terms of scholarships.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid Posts: 83,290 Forum Champion
    edited May 10
    I see how competitive getting scholarships is and am anxious about getting enough financial aid. I am grateful that I have everything I need on a daily basis, but there is no money for college and I don't want to drown in loan debt.

University of Maryland
    University of Georgia
    George Mason University

I hope to major in international business and work in sustainability/ethics in the business world.

Here are some facts about me:
    -I am a rising senior from South Carolina

Middle class Family that can’t contribute anything

What is the Family income?

None of those OOS publics will work. None would give you enough.

You can only borrow $5500 frosh year

You essentially need a near-free ride....more than free tuition

Who is paying for your applications and sending scores?
    Don’t waste mone on schools that won’t be affordable