Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Financial aid for studying medicine/health in the U.S. or UK for international students

Replies to: Financial aid for studying medicine/health in the U.S. or UK for international students

• HeyheysamHeyheysam Registered User Posts: 26 Junior Member
    I daubt that you know how bad Iran-USA relations are. USA doesnt even maintain any embassies in Iran....
    Thanks for your time @barryA
    Did you see my resumé above? Do you think I have any chance for colleges in America or Australia? + tell me which colleges offered you fee weavers? And What is ISFAA?
  • juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 12,349 Super Moderator
    International medical students cannot borrow federal student loans in the U.S. They also generally have a really hard time getting a private loan from a U.S. bank to attend medical school. It's my understanding that the few international students who do get admitted to U.S. medical schools have to certify that they have enough money to cover the cost of attendance (including living costs) and that they typically pay out of resources their families have before they come here.
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 Registered User Posts: 961 Member
    It's very difficult to get into medical school at all in the UK for an international, although not impossible. But you would need to be able to pay - FA is virtually non-existent for overseas students. Your best bet would be if your home country provided any scholarships for students studying abroad.

Would you be prepared to consider Bulgaria? They teach in English (assuming that's why you were thinking of US/UK), and it's a lot cheaper and easier to get in; on the other hand, I don't know how well accepted it would be for where you hope to end up practicing as a doctor/dentist, and I wouldn't recommend it if you had better options.
    edited May 13
    Actually The things that matter are:
    - to be able to combine two bachelor degrees to form an undergraduate double degree but it is not possible to do in UK right?
    - no, Language doesnt really matter since I can speak in 7 languages right now
    - having a good rank in Medicine/Pharmacy
    - Full Fund/Scholarships
    I thought of Melbourne, Monash and Seoul National Uni too but Im still not sure.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 83,626 Forum Champion
    I am going to apply for american, europian and Australian colleges.

Which American colleges?
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 Registered User Posts: 961 Member
    No, in the UK you’d be doing nothing but medicine. I don’t actually think you could combine medicine or dentistry with another subject anywhere.

If you have good German that might be a good place to look given budget constraints, as university is free there, even for internationals.
    The ones I might have the most chances in , Im still not sure. In which colleges do you think I might have chances to get accepted?
    I forgot to say Im going to graduate with a probable school rank within 1 - 10 (there are 120 graduating students in my school this year)
  • juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 12,349 Super Moderator
    In the U.S., as someone already mentioned, you'd get a bachelor's degree first before applying to medical school, where you'd then do an additional 4 years. So you wouldn't need to do a double degree as an undergrad. You can major in whatever you want; people to go to med school with majors in art, philosophy, history, etc.

Rank also doesn't matter in the U.S. All U.S. medical schools are very good, and the number of residency places in the United States is well-controlled by the American Medical Association. That means that we always need more doctors than there are people graduating with MDs, and so your med school's rank has little bearing on whether you get a job. (That said, the rank of your med school can maybe affect where you get a residency and certain types of high-profile research positions.)
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 69,811 Senior Member
    You are applying to colleges where you have the best chance of acceptance?

That’s all fine and good...if you can pay the bills to attend these schools.

You also need schools that are affordable for you.

The most generous colleges here are also amongst the most competitive for admissions admitting sometimes less than 10% of applicants. That means that 90% or so are not accepted...at all. In that 90% are a bunch if very well qualified applicants.

Yes, we are well aware of the difficulties you might have obtaining a visa to study here.

Frankly, I’m not sure U.S colleges are financially or admissions wise a slam dunk for you.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 18,146 Senior Member
    I daubt that you know how bad Iran-USA relations are.

Most of us actually do know as we lived through the 1978-79 crisis. It will not be easy for you in America. The paperwork is only the start.

Your Stanford friend might be helpful in guiding you through the process and what is necessary, but you really don't need an elite private school of to be a pharmacist. . If your goal is to work as a pharmacist, you really don't need an elite school. Many schools offer pharmacy. Try Presbyterian in Clinton, SC, and try Regis in Denver Colorado. Both offer pharmacy and a lot of merit. If you have friends who are pharmacist, where did they go to college?
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 37,415 Senior Member
    What's your family's income based on TODAY's rial value in $?
    Do you have a principal or an English teacher?
    You likely qualify for the CommonApplication Fee waiver - you check it, the person who takes care of uploading your results also checks it, and you're ok.
    If you can afford to take foreign language subject tests, yes it'd be useful, because it's rare that a student would have high scores in BOTH STEM and humanities subjects.

Second, your list needs to include
    1° the 4 CommonApp need blind colleges (Amherst, Harvard, Princeton, Yale) + MIT
    2° women's colleges: Wellesley, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Barnard, Bryn Mawr, Scripps
    3° colleges where your stats guarantee you HUGE merit aid: U Alabama, Miami Ohio, USC Colubia, .... likely not on common app. Pitt loves high test scores, too, although scholarships aren't automatic there.
    4° Apply for the McDermott fellowship at UT Dallas, Wilson at Appalachian State, etc. Competitive merit scholarships.
    5° Top colleges that love high scores: UChicago, Vanderbilt. Anyone can add more?
    6° I think Rutgers has Pre-Pharmacy and full rides for top stats. Look into it.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 27,806 Senior Member
    When you finish your education, where do you want to work and live?

It is very difficult to get long-term permission to work in the US. If you find a job that will start immediately after you finish your education, you can work here for a certain period of time (the time allowed depends on what you studied) called OPT. When that time ends, if you have not found an employer that can get you an H1B work visa (most employers aren't able to), you will need to leave.

Some countries have more favorable work and immigration policies. So be sure to investigate that very carefully.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 37,415 Senior Member
    edited May 14
    France allows you to study in their first year Medicine program. Teaching is in French. It's tuition-free. You cannot apply to any Paris university and to have a shot at admissions along with cheaper rent/food choose branch campuses (Angoulême, Pau, Orleans, Nîmes- in terms of quality of life I'd pick Angoulême and Pau). At the end of the first year if you rank top 15% in the competition, you're in: You attend the main medicine faculty and can become a doctor.
    You can choose either dental school OR med school depending on your rank within the top 15%.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 69,811 Senior Member
    Did two threads get merged?

This is very confusing.

@WayOutWestMom can probably give you a good idea of your chances of getting accepted to medical school here’s as an international student.

In terms of paying...its loans, loans and more loans for U.S citizens in most cases...so the likelihood of an international student getting financial grant money from a U.S. medical school is...maybe zero?

Now back to undergrad. You need to find an affordable option. You need to be very realistic in terms of your applications as an international student to those highly competitive but very generous to international students in terms of needs schools. Your chances of being accepted even as a tip top student are VERY low. Less than 5% at some colleges.

To get a visa to study here, you will need to be able to certify that you have enough money to cover your costs.

As noted upstream, getting s job after graduation in the U.S. will require a different set of hoops to jump through.

@thumper1 thanks for your answer ... they merged the threads and warned me for it... they are toataly different questions. one is about studying medicine and the other is about application fees!