Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Financial aid for studying medicine/health in the U.S. or UK for international students

HeyheysamHeyheysam Registered User Posts: 26 Junior Member
In which conditions can international students study Medicine, pharmacy or Dentistry majors with financial aid in USA or UK ? Because I have heard that its kinda impossible to get financial aids for international students to study Medicine in USA and UK
Post edited by juillet on

Replies to: Financial aid for studying medicine/health in the U.S. or UK for international students

• HeyheysamHeyheysam Registered User Posts: 26 Junior Member
    edited May 12
    Im an international student and I have difficulty paying for colleges' application fees. I chose 20 colleges to apply to on my Common Application in order to increase my addmission chance but those applications cost me areound 1000 $ in total. what can I do?
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 68,543 Senior Member
    edited May 12
    You have two choices...

1. Pay the application costs

2. Reduce the number of schools

The MOST important thing to do is apply to schools where you have a reasonable chance of being accepted, and can afford to attend. If the schools on your list are all high reaches...then you could apply to fifty and it wouldn’t increase your odds of getting accepted.

Adding...there are only five colleges in this country that are both need blind for admissions...AND meet full need for all accepted international students.

This means that at least 15 of the schools on your list will take your financial need into consideration when they review your admissions application.

Anyway...maybe some of the colleges will grant you application waivers...so ask....but don’t hold your breath.
    edited May 12
    Ok I knew but I still wondered if there is a way. How long will it usually take for universities to reply to my application? Can I apply for them one by one or they have same/close applying deadlines?
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 13,402 Senior Member
    Each college's website will tell you when decisions will be released. It also depends on if you apply EA, ED or RD.

You cannot apply one at a time.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 68,543 Senior Member
    You apply to colleges and for financial aid using each college deadline dates. Don’t wait until the last minute.

Deadlines vary wildly so check each school carefully.

• TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 13,402 Senior Member
    In the US you first earn a bachelor's degree before entering medical or dental school. Virtually no international students are admitted to US medical schools, perhaps 100 or so each year. Funding from those schools is impossible.
    What about loans?
    And its only about Medicine/Dentistry and not about Pharmacy right?
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 17,104 Senior Member
    Ask the schools for a waiver. Many grant them.
  • BarryABarryA Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    I have been through this! Ask your school's counsellor to write an official statement regarding your financial circumstances. You can then check the box in the CommonApp that says you can provide a statement from school to request for fee waiver. You would probably need to show your school your family's income statement or whatsoever. Your counsellor would be the one uploading the statement.
    Im from Iran and we dont have a counsellor in our schools and there are not many students who apply for undergraduate abroad colleges and schools dont know know what the things Im asking them are! Like teacher evaluation or fee weavor request Statement ...
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 21,751 Super Moderator
    Application fees are just the top of the iceberg.

Op must consider the cost of sending scores to 20 schools in addition to sending the CSS profile to 20 schools. It is highly unlikely that OP will be able to have these fees waived (not eligible to fave fees waived on the profile).

It is a good iidea to trim your list Op will have to spend an afditional &600-700 on top of application fees.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid Posts: 83,290 Forum Champion
    edited 8:39AM

What are the schools on your list?

What is the GPA and ACT/SAT scores ? How much will the family pay each year? What do you need the net costs to be? What is the major and career goal?
    Post edited by mom2collegekids at
    Im an Iranian Female student
    I want to become a pharmacist
    I am going to apply for american, europian and Australian colleges.
    My GPA is 17 out of 20
    In senior year i got 20 / 20 in Math Bio Chem Physics English
    SAT subject tests : Math800 Chem800 bio790
    ACT36
    My friend got accepted to Stanford with full Fund she had similar scores to mine but better GPA.
    + I can speak in 7 languages but I havent take SAT subject tests in languages (shall I? )
    + i can code in C, C++, Java, C sharp, Java script, Python programming languages
    + I run a website (the website is written by myself) selling books online and the whole income will straightly go to be spend on homeless people and books for labour kids whom I teach for free (they cant go to school since they work) thats all I can remember for now.
    My family income is in Rials (Iran's currency) and the value of Rial changes everyday and
    when I planned to study in USA and started studying for SAT ACT , 1 dollar was about 30000 Rials ( just a few months ago) but Iran's currency fall to 90000 Rials against $1, its lowest point ever.
    my family had hard times financially paying for the SAT ACT, I even had to go to Turkey to take the tests since they are not held in Iran and I dont know what more will happen to our currency as it changes everyday.
    Nothing is stable really So I cant say how much Ill be able to pay next year since I have to wait months for my visa. the United States does not maintain an embassy in Iran. US visas for Iranians can be processed through US embassies in Abu Dhabi, Ankara, Frankfurt, Naples and Vienna. And it will take months.
  • BarryABarryA Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    As an international, I must say that I have been offered CSS fee waiver from some, but not all, schools that I applied too. I really just had to write them emails and ask them if it was possible. Some granted it, some told me to use the ISFAA instead.

However, similar to what others have said, you should consider cutting down your college list. This would probably yield more desirable result since you would be able to put in more quality applications instead.

Perhaps you could try reaching out to EducationUSA in your country for assistance?