Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Potential for Full Rides Up North?

2»

Replies to: Potential for Full Rides Up North?

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 83,902 Forum Champion
    my family is not unwilling to pay anything at all-

for example, my sister has a full ride at her college but due to her sorority and other various fees they pay about $9,000 each year for her.

I'm not too sure what the cutoff would be for how much they are willing to pay, but I know loans are out of the question so they would have to do it on their own.

Lastly, the major would probably be biology since I would be going into med school for a future in medicine! Thanks for your help!

.?? Can you clarify. Are you saying that your parents are willing to pay $9000 a year for your sisters sorority but they won’t pay anything for you? Please ask them.

If you want to go to med school than your best bet is to go where you’ll get the best grades for the best cost.

It looks like many of these suggestions will not work because you need more than a free tuition award.

Just where I want to move in the future, college would be a good trial run to see if I like it!

Well I can understand that thinking, you have no idea where you would end up going to med school or where you would end up doing your residency.
  • CTmom2018CTmom2018 Registered User Posts: 678 Member
    Private message sent.
  • rinneterestingrinneteresting Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    @thumper1 Sorry, just noticed your prior response! I'm open to a lot of places, but preferably the larger cities such as Boston or Seattle or others like you mentioned would be hard to get into... yikes. Also, I know my idea of the north is probably skewed since I live so far south in New Orleans, but I'm also really into Chicago, not sure whether that's considered northern or midwestern or what? Basically, I have more of a soft spot for the larger cities so any place that would be around one in the north would be really interesting to me!
  • rinneterestingrinneteresting Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    @mom2collegekids No they would be totally willing to help me out too, I was just using her as an example to explain that they are down to pay for her various fees (including sorority, not limited to) and that they're not skipping out on paying anything!
  • helppleasepharmhelppleasepharm Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    Maybe University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC)? When I visited, they seemed to give out substantial merit aid through their honors college, although a full ride or a full tuition scholarship would be very tough for anyone to get.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 71,008 Senior Member
    How about University of Minnesota? Located in Minneapolis. Cost of attendance for OOS is about $40,000 a year...which isn’t all that bad for OOS. I don’t know about aid potential for you.

Minneapolis has a lot of large business headquarters...and is a hub for young people in the upper Midwest.
  • TheBurbsTheBurbs Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    @helppleasepharm UIC doesn't give out substantial merit, at least to instate. They do give some through honors college but not a substantial amount? They're limited, some may even partly need based
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,202 Senior Member
    edited May 17
    ^ UIC is a commuter university with very little merit money in a state with so many financial struggles it almost didn't pay it's resident students the scholarships they were awarded.

@rinneteresting
    It sounds like a full tuition scholarship would be ok (ie., Your parents have to pay for room and board plus books).
    What's your EFC? Or your parents' income?
    Where you should apply will depend on your test scores and your parents' income.

Pitt if you can get a 35-36 on the act. 32-33 will likely get you full tuition at Temple and Montana State. 33-34 gets you a lot of money at U Minnesota twin cities, Indiana Bloomington, and tOSU. It makes you competitive for admission with merit at Northeastern. Same thing at Ohio University and Miami Ohio.
    Your 32 will likely yield merit but you'd need additional need based aid (income based ie if your family makes 150k or less) at the CTCL colleges. (.org website). Whitman, stOlaf, Reed, Wheaton MA, Beloit, Lawrence, Earlham, are all good. The list you got in #12 is quite good.
    If you try to move out of state not quite in the North you can try Honors College at UKentucky which is revamping its program, ASU Barrett. UNC Asheville and Appalachian State will have snow.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 83,902 Forum Champion
    Pitt if you can get a 35-36 on the act

To clarify, to get free tuition, not a free ride, to University of Pittsburg, you usually have to apply early, be the top 2% of your class as well. And it is not guaranteed

Lastly, the major would probably be biology since I would be going into med school for a future in medicine! Thanks for your help!

Really, your goal should be to find something Low cost, no loans.
    A school that Med schools of heard of and where you get the best grades and likely there are enough other Premeds that there is an adequate Premed advising group and Premed honor societies....like AED...Alpha epsilon Delta
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 71,008 Senior Member
    A school that Med schools of heard

Not sure this matters so much as long as it’s not one of the for profit colleges OR a college in another country. Medical school admissions folks don’t need to have first hand knowledge of your college...but it can’t be some fly by night place.
2»