Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Both Parents will be Unemployed

2»

Replies to: Both Parents will be Unemployed

• NeedmoreecNeedmoreec Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    edited May 14
    Yes, my apologies I confused Medicaid with Medicare. Dad is 65, I was talking about the income they give every month for being that age.

If not all of social security income is taxable, would that mean he wouldn't be able to file a tax return?
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 83,620 Forum Champion
    Still can file
    Thank you!
  • coolguy40coolguy40 Registered User Posts: 1,432 Senior Member
    edited May 15
    If anything, it would increase your financial aid because your family contribution is effectively zero. Proudly put the info on your FAFSA. This is a situation where a private school might actually come in handy. They tend to be more generous in situations like this. If you have the grades, I would go for as much scholarship money as I could nonetheless. The better your grades, the better the chances of you being able to afford school. Best of luck!!
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 69,807 Senior Member
    edited May 15
    @coolguy40

This student said in the OP that her EFC was $0. It can’t get lower than that!
    Yes, my apologies I confused Medicaid with Medicare. Dad is 65, I was talking about the income they give every month for being that age.

Medicaid doesn’t give any income per month. Are you talking about social security?

Regardless...your parent can file a tax return with whatever income from whatever source.
  • lyndonwslyndonws Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    Whether they filed during a specific tax year or not, you (and parents) need to enter 2016 income information on the 2018-2019 FAFSA. After submitting the FAFSA, inquire with your school's Financial Aid Office about a Special Circumstance Appeal, if income has decreased significantly since 2016. The 'professional judgement of income' is with their office alone.
    Thank you!
2»