Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Hello. Can I get scholarships in college?

coRiNNe98thcoRiNNe98th Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
I currently have 19 credits with a 3.01 GPA in community college. HS GPA was 2.4. I'm taking 3 classes this semester, which should bring my GPA a bit higher. After the summer, I'll have 28 credits after the summer, which makes me a sophomore I think. I have failed 1 class but I am retaking it in the fall when there's availability.

I'd love to go to USC/UCLA, SCAD, or Ringling. I'm black, female, and was homeless for a year in high school. Now, I work full time and go to class full time. Not sure if this helps or disqualifies me.

Are there scholarships offered for people in my position or is it too late?

Replies to: Hello. Can I get scholarships in college?

  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 73,107 Senior Member
    Are you a CA resident? That will play into your transfer prospects at UCLA.

    I honestly think UCLA and USC are reaches in terms of acceptance. Have you spoken to the transfer admissions person at your CC?

    SCAD is very costly and is an arts school that typically awards smaller aid.

    USC is a competitive private university. They do have scholarships...but most are reserved for very high ache ing incoming freshman.

    Ringling...not a lot of aid available there either.

    What are your sure thing colleges for admission? And are any affordable? Really...talk to your transfer advisor at your CC to see what they say.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,305 Super Moderator
    I think you would be better served completing the associates. Your high school gpa probably won’t matter and there are schools that gave articulation agreement(most likely in your home state) where you can be admitted once you complete your associates. Right now with only a year in, the emphasis is still going to be on your high school gpa.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,141 Senior Member
    UC's require 60 credits AND IGETC requirements completed (+ entrance to major). Keep up the good work and getting strong grades in all your classes to increase your odds.
    What major are you thinking of?
    Are you a resident of california?
  • coRiNNe98thcoRiNNe98th Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    @thumper1 I will be a CA resident 1 year after I complete my A.A. I haven't had the chance to speak with admissions because I'm busy with the move.

    @sybbie719 Thank you.

    @MYOS1634 What is the IGETC? Will a good SAT/ACT score suffice? I'm bouncing around the idea of majoring in Computer Science or a Business/Finances Degree. I love both subjects and have a fairly decent exposure to both, I just don't know which one is right for me.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 73,107 Senior Member
    edited May 2018

    Where are you attending community college?

    How old are you?

    Do you live in CA now?
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,517 Senior Member
    I will be a CA resident 1 year after I complete my A.A.
    Unless you are working full time, for 2 years, and have been paying California taxes. you won't be considered a California resident for tuition.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,141 Senior Member
    Please use your favorite search engine to find out what. IGETC requirements are. If you don't know it means you have not taken courses from that list. It is mandatory. In addition if you're interested in both business and CS, you will need to complete "entrance to major" courses. You cannot apply otherwise. This takes a minimum of 2years, often more if you don't take all classes you need and flutter around, sometimes a bit less if you've had AP scores recognized and got credit from the cc.
    Where are you attending CC?
    Why do you think you can become a CA resident, are your parents about to move there?
  • coRiNNe98thcoRiNNe98th Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    @MYOS1634 BLESS YOU seriously the prerequisites for Florida are somewhat similar, but I wouldn't have gotten all of the necessary classes.The IGETC was super helpful. Thank you so, so much.

    @aunt bea Im aware the market is tough in LA. Would a part time job and volunteering suffice or does it have to be full time?

    @thumper1 FSCJ. 19. No, not currently.
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,517 Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    Obtaining California residency for the purposes of tuition and fees is extremely difficult for undergraduates with nonresident parents (this includes transfer students from community colleges and other postsecondary institutions within California). Virtually all nonresident undergraduates with nonresident parents remain nonresidents for the duration of their undergraduate career at UC.

    You will be paying full fees for the remainder of your education in California because you are coming to California for educational purposes. That means if you attend a California public school, which is funded by state taxpayer dollars, you will be expected to pay full fees. At a UC, you will be paying $65K per year. If you attend a CSU, you will be paying $40K per year. There is no state financial aid for non-residents. None. Non-residents are admitted to pay full fees; they are considered "cash cows". There are more than enough non-residents who are willing to pay these fees.
    The California public schools cannot admit based on race. It is illegal in the State of California.

    If you get a FEDERAL Pell grant, the maximum is $6K per year. It won't make a dent in the full fees.

    USC is a private school and to get scholarship monies, your grades have to be exceptional. The competition is fierce.

    Or you get to California, and work full time for two years, while paying and filing California taxes, and paying market rental rates, keeping a budget and not accepting financial help from anyone. You cannot attend any public university during these two years. This is VERY difficult to do. Your W2's, taxes and budget sheets have to match. Our rents in California are ridiculously expensive, so it makes it very difficult to pay rent. let alone any additional living expenses. Public transportation in Southern California is almost non-existent.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 73,107 Senior Member
    Of you do not currently live in CA, it’s going to be a challenge to be a CA resident for instate tuition purposes after only living there for one year....actually...impossible because it takes to years to establish residency for instate purposes.

    If you have an instate option within your current state, I would strongly suggest you look into that option.

    First...you are already a resident for tuition purposes.

    Second...you have a far better chance of your CC courses being accepted towards a degree in your state, at a four year school with an articulation agreement with your CC.

    CA is very costly as you know. Living expenses are very high there. It would be very difficult to live there independently with only a part time job.

    Why CA? Why not a place that is already affordable?
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,141 Senior Member
    You cannot become a CA resident unless your parents live and pay taxes there, or you live there for at least two years, entirely on your own, not taking any college class, working full time - generally you have to work till you're 24.
    If your parents live in Florida you should try to attend UF and use their career center, first, to get a California summer internship after Junior year (start going in August, the best internships are gone in October) , and from there, finding a job in California. You need to bring those grades up as much as possible so use summer and online courses + Fall.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 7,677 Senior Member
    FSCJ is in FL, isn't it? Does FL offer grants to low income state residents? I wouldn't move to CA because you won't get residency for in state tuition, and you'll lose your FL residency in the process. Are there 4-year schools near Jacksonville that you can commute to after you finish your 2 year degree?
  • Gator88NEGator88NE Registered User Posts: 6,293 Senior Member
    You should at least consider Florida schools, especially if you're a state resident. The state of Florida offers very low in-state tuition, as well as merit and need-based aid. You can always earn your degree at UNF, and then get a job or internship in CA.

    Here is a link to UNF's transfer scholarships:


    UNF has a solid business and CS program. They are also likely to offer some "need-based" aid.
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 3,155 Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    You should consider the women's colleges. Many have generous FA and many want to assist strivers like yourself. They were established when and because women weren't allowed a college education. They were established to empower women like yourself. As a result, they have special programs for women who have had unusual or interrupted educational tracks.

    Please consider --

    Simmons in Boston -- part of a consortium that includes an art school -- has merit aid.
    Hollins U--has merit
    Sweet Briar (but FA might be limited here) -- lowered tuition recently
    Agnes Scott -- has cross registration with Emory
    Mills -- has cross registration with Berkeley and an art school -- lowered tuition recently

    Bryn Mawr--part of a consortium with UPenn, Swarthmore, Haverford and plenty of arts opportunities
    Smith -- part of consortium with four other schools with plenty of arts opportunity
    Mt. Holyoke -- part of consortium with four other schools with plenty of arts opportunity
    Barnard--shares facilities and classes with Columbia U.

    I advise applying to Simmons, Hollins, Mills, Agnes Scott, Smith, Mt. Holyoke. Once you receive your acceptances look at what FA they offer, then make your choice.
This discussion has been closed.