Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Merit Scholarship International

crodriguez01crodriguez01 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
ACT composite:31
English: 35
Math: 30
Science: 29
Reading: 30

GPA UW: 3.89

Lot's of EC's but I feel like that is just really long to add on considering most merit scholarships are based on ACT/SAT and GPA. Do you know any schools where I could get at least like half tuition (as an international applicant)?

Replies to: Merit Scholarship International

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,043 Forum Champion
    Univ of Alabama would give you $20k per year which is more than half tuition.

What is your likely major and career goal? How much can your family contribute each year? Do you live in the states now?
  • crodriguez01crodriguez01 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Likely major is engineering and a poli sci minor. My family can contribute $15k max as I have two other family members in University at the same time as I will, and eventually a third(my younger brother) in my upper years. Also no, I do not live in the states, I live in Canada.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 2,518 Senior Member
    edited September 20
    Do you not qualify for Canadian schools? Your stats just won't get big $$.
    And half off what? Half off means nothing, if you can just about pay for room and board and maybe a flight with your 15K. Make sure your Canadian apps are strong.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,043 Forum Champion
    could get at least like half tuition

My family can contribute $15k max

Your first question makes no sense in light of your family’s contribution. How would getting half off of tuition and your parents’ 15k get close to your total costs??? The 15k wouldn’t even cover your room, board, books, personal expenses and health insurance.

So how would you cover the “other half” of tuition???

You need to go to a Canadian school or get higher scores and find a school that will give you MORE than full tuition so that the 15k** can cover room, board, books, fees, health insurance, and travel.
    **You’ll probably have to work over summers in CANADA to earn enough to supplement that 15k by about $3k because the 15k won’t be enough to cover those expenses.

• TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 14,109 Senior Member
    As a Canadian why are you so interested in attending college in the US? Your stats will not likely get you admitted to any top 30 colleges. You have so many good, low priced universities in Canada to choose from.
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 2,720 Senior Member
    Hate to say it but for engineering you would be lucky to get into a top 100 college with no merit.