Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

"Offbeat" Money for College

Looking for college money? Dave Berry explores some offbeat sources. https://www.collegeconfidential.com/articles/offbeat-money-for-college/

Replies to: "Offbeat" Money for College

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 19,305 Senior Member
    Athletic scholarships don't mean those students 'have it made.' Most only cover a small portion of the bill.
  • chercheurchercheur Registered User Posts: 891 Member
    edited October 16
    In my opinion, students should focus their time on finding scholarships at the local and state levels. Most school counselors are notified when local scholarships open, so find out if your counselor posts a list someplace. Also, check the websites of the surrounding school districts as they will likely have a list of scholarships.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,602 Senior Member
    Our local scholarships are limited to high school graduates, most are not renewable, and ask for tax return information or FAFSA EFC, so factor in need.
  • bjscheelbjscheel Registered User Posts: 297 Junior Member
    Those suggested scholarships are so specific they will apply to very few. And the zombie one is heavily advertised- it's on Unigo so it's hardly off the beaten path.

On the other hand, it sometimes works to try for the national ones you find on those sites, especially if they are for a niche you fit. My DD'17 applied for a Printing & Graphics Scholarship Foundation one that we found on Sallie Mae because she is in Graphic Design. She received $1500 for her first year and $1600 for her second year. At community college, that goes a long way. She also applies for the foundation scholarships at her cc every semester and has received one for 3 out of 4 semesters so far. I think a lot of students neglect to apply for the college's scholarships for continuing students.

For DD'19 I took the newspaper article for the awards night for Class of 2018 and wrote down every scholarship those kids got and will see about applying to as many as she would qualify for. Plus checking surrounding schools' websites etc.