Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Financial Aid Vs. Student Debt: News You Can Use

The latest news on financial aid and student loan debt contains both the positive and the negative. https://www.collegeconfidential.com/articles/financial-aid-vs-student-debt-news-you-can-use/

Replies to: Financial Aid Vs. Student Debt: News You Can Use

• ColoradomamaColoradomama Registered User Posts: 1,919 Senior Member
    It does not seem to be any new information, except the John Hopkins jumbo donation, but
    that school is so small, that really does not make a dent, unless OTHER billionaires also give to bigger public schools.
    The problem in Colorado is that Coloradoans can attend U of Wyoming or Kansas schools for less than they pay
    for U of Colorado Boulder. We have a new governor who may motivate us to change that. Georgia has the Zell Miller awards for smart Georgia kids, they can all go to the public GA schools tuition free, and they can get that same amount applied to privates like Emory, which cost more. They have to maintain a high GPA to keep a Zell Miller
    but the award can last up to six years. Georgia is really giving students a LOT of money for college! . Other states offer FREE two years of community college, like Tennessee, and Washington State and New York State now has a program to make SUNY very affordable, although it was always very affordable if you ask me.
    The article misleads I think because fewer and fewer students are going into debt, given all the newer free options in many states. I don't see a reason to go to a private school anymore, in fact, given these programs.
    There is also a newer program at many universities, search A. James and Alice B Clark Foundation grants.
    U of Maryland, U of Penn and many other public and privates benefited. While Bloomberg gave an astronomical 1.8 billion, I think the key will be to get money to large public programs to have an impact, NOT just Johns Hopkins.
    Still its very nice for a few kids who get into JHU.
    Here is a review of where students can go to college tuition FREE, its getting to be a very big list!
    https://money.cnn.com/2017/05/16/pf/college/states-tuition-free-college/index.html
    Bernie Sanders forgot to mention this, just how many states already offer tuition free college.
    I like this model better than Bloombergs, private dollars funding public universities, see A. James Clark Foundation.
    https://www.insidephilanthropy.com/home/2017/11/27/james-clark-foundation-university-maryland-gift
    If more donors give to PUBLIC universities, that will really help students much more than what Bloomberg just did.
    But if people copy cat Bloomberg, thats good too.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 19,498 Senior Member
    When colleges review applications, all but a few consider a student’s ability to pay. As a result, high-achieving applicants from low- and middle-income families are routinely denied seats that are saved for students whose families have deeper pockets. This hurts the son of a farmer in Nebraska as much as the daughter of a working mother in Detroit.

I don't think Bloomberg is correct on this. I believe all but a few don't consider ability to pay in admissions, at least before the waitlist round.
  • 1NJParent1NJParent Registered User Posts: 563 Member
    edited November 20
    Yes, there're a lot of colleges that are need blind, but most of them don't meet full need. Most of the colleges that meet full need, on the other hand, are need aware. Colleges that are both need blind and meet full need are a tiny fraction.
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 29,928 Super Moderator
    About three-quarters of US students attend need-blind non-full-need state colleges.