Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Merit Scholarships For Grad Students

CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins Registered User Posts: 630 Member
edited November 28 in Graduate School
Is there a comprehensive list someone can kindly recommend? Does income, location, major, race etc matter for Rhodes?

Replies to: Merit Scholarships For Grad Students

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 19,538 Senior Member
    Location matters (either home state or school). Any major can earn the award, but you have to be pretty spectacular.

There is a list. Years ago I went to school with someone who wanted to be a Rhodes scholar. He was on it from day one, always meeting with professors, signing up for projects and events, building a resume. At the time Rhodes scholars needed to be athletes and I remember him worrying that his last athletic feat were in high school.
  • rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 3,943 Senior Member
    Are you more interested in merit scholarships for their own sake or in graduate school programs in which the student is likely to receive financial support? Merit certainly matters for the second category but I wouldn't call this category "scholarships" or equate it to being a Rhodes scholar.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 72,244 Senior Member
    I agree with @rosered55

Are you asking specifically about what it takes to become a Rhodes Scholar? That is a very different question than inquiring about grad school funding in general.
  • brantlybrantly Registered User Posts: 3,417 Senior Member
    What kind of grad school and for what degree? Masters? PhD? MBA?
  • CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins Registered User Posts: 630 Member
    edited December 3
    I’m sorry. My question was vague. I’m asking for ways to get money to make a graduate degree affordable.

I’m assuming all grad students apply independently of their parent’s finances?
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 35,284 Senior Member
    What type of grad school? A PhD student’s financial situation is different vs a law student vs a med student vs a masters in some other subject.
  • BelknapPointBelknapPoint Registered User Posts: 3,889 Senior Member
    I’m assuming all grad students apply independently of their parent’s finances?

That's a bad assumption, and it's one reason that you've been asked what type of grad school are you considering.
    For MA in Political Science.
    edited December 3
    FAFSA and CSS are student’s own or require parent’s information? If student is above 21 and isn’t getting any money from parents then does it matter for aid award?
    I don’t know for that type of degree (but think long and hard about whether that MA would be worth it — I would doubt the value of that degree, honestly).
    edited December 3
    For State Department or UN jobs, wouldn’t you need one?
    I certainly know people who worked for State (got jobs in the last 5 years) without a masters. Not sure about UN.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,388 Senior Member
    The student should take this question to their own department and to the career center at their campus. The career center is likely to have better expertise about job-hunting, and the academic department is likely to have better expertise at grad school placement.
    edited December 3
    Let’s forget the specific student, please share your information for financing a master’s degree in general if you don’t mind.
    edited December 3
    @intparent A masters degree may help in finding better positions or getting promotions. If you look up people holding top positions in government, all seems to have masters, law or doctorate degrees. No?