right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have identified a log in issue that is preventing some members from accessing the site. The support team is diligently working on resolving it. We hope to have an update soon. Read more here. Thanks for your understanding!

Berry College - scholarships

K8sMom2002K8sMom2002 9 replies2 threads New Member
My DD is over the moon that she has been accepted to Berry College in Georgia. She has been awarded a merit scholarship of $18k a year, plus a $4K Grant. With her Hope and TEG (Georgia Scholarship programs), this is getting it close to what state schools would cost ... but not quite.

She has the option to apply for four scholarships at Berry: Gate of Opportunity, Bonner, Leadership and Lettie Pate Whitehead.

Gate is close to a full ride, but it is a work scholarship. You have to work year round to pay it back. Her mentor is strongly advising her to not apply for Gate—she is a STEM pre-dental/chemistry major, and he is concerned she will jeopardize her chance at dental school. It’s very competitive, and she might not have a chance anyway.

Does anyone know what the chances are and usual amounts of scholarships for Bonner or Lettie Pate Whitehead?

Moderators, please feel free to move this to where it will get more eyes on it if I’ve posted it in the wrong place. I am fairly new to posting.
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Berry College - scholarships

• Fuse1988Fuse1988 31 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @K8sMom2002 Congratulations on your daughter's acceptance. My step daughter has also been accepted into Berry for the Fall '19 year. We are Out of State and berry has offered $21,641 in a Berry academic scholarship and a Berry scholarship from alumni and friends. It is a very generous scholarship even though the cost for out of state schools are Extremely expensive. My step-daughter has been accepted to a few schools and is awaiting many more. She loves what Berry has to offer and is in the Top 5 schools that she is considering. We are from New York, and Cost is definitely a factor in choosing a school. We all plan on visiting Berry for the March 2019 Open House. We at least have to visit Berry before we actually decide which School is Best. Those scholarships you mentioned, I do not know if that applies to Out of state students, but I will take a peek to see what those are about. Good luck to your daughter.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids 84193 replies1035 threadsForum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Forum Champion
    ^^^. Berry is a private school so being instate or OOS shouldn’t make a difference unless there’s an endowed award that is only for GA students. And of course, Zell and HOPE are state awards for state students.

In other words, the terms “instate” and “out of state” apply to public schools because public schools charge a higher OOS rate to OOS students.

Gate is close to a full ride, but it is a work scholarship. You have to work year round to pay it back. Her mentor is strongly advising her to not apply for Gate—she is a STEM pre-dental/chemistry major, and he is concerned she will jeopardize her chance at dental school. It’s very competitive, and she might not have a chance anyway.

I agree with this. When my son was premed, he found that there were times when he could work very little. When he was taking Orgo 1, he didnt work at all. When he was taking Orgo 2, he only worked 2 hours a week on Friday afternoons.

Accepting an award that would require work that isn’t very flexible (meaning requires X hours per week, and would require mid-week work), may end up compromising her study time for those very difficult preDental prereqs.
    · Reply · Share
  • K8sMom2002K8sMom2002 9 replies2 threads New Member
    Thanks. Mom2CollegeKids... she has been invited to interview for Bonner and Whitehead Scholarships ... I’m hoping we can find out more about the programs when we go with her, as parents have sessions, too.

Fuse1988, congrats! Berry is a great school with much to offer!
    · Reply · Share
  • Fuse1988Fuse1988 31 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @K8sMom2002 We are actually visiting for Decision Berry Feb 17. We are all Looking forward to our campus visit.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 8846 replies106 threads Senior Member
    Berry College has the largest college campus in the country at 27,000 acres, and it may be the largest in the world.

The campus is beautiful & provides a great training ground for distance runners.

Almost all students are awarded merit scholarships upon acceptance to Berry College.
    · Reply · Share