right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Financial aid hold

countrychickcountrychick 2 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3 New Member
So my University miscalculated my financial aid and now I have a balance (hold) on my account which will delay me getting into nursing school by the deadline. Plus I cannot order any transcripts.They said letters were sent out, but I did not get one. This puts me in a great bind, I worked my butt off and worked 7 days a week to finish these classes and now I'm stuck. I cannot afford to pay to this balance at one time being a single parent.
I'm so upset!
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Financial aid hold

• thumper1thumper1 73027 replies3179 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,206 Senior Member
    You need to talk to the school. How much do you owe them?

How soon is your nursing school application deadline?

· Reply · Share
  • mommdcmommdc 11239 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11,268 Senior Member
    Do your income taxes asap if you are expecting a refund!
    · Reply · Share
  • countrychickcountrychick 2 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm waiting for a call back. I have left several messages. The hold says I owe $1400.00. my deadline is February 1st. I
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73027 replies3179 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,206 Senior Member
    @countrychick

Is there ANYONE you can borrow this $1400 from??
    · Reply · Share
  • countrychickcountrychick 2 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3 New Member
    No. I would just have to go back to working 7 days a week and try for next year to apply for nursing school. I just need them to call me back.
    · Reply · Share
    edited December 2018
    ETA...you need to call them! Don’t wait for them to call you. You may find that the offices are short staffed until January 2...so the folks who might be able to answer your questions might not be available until January 2. But try...like right now...make that call.

When they call you back...it’s likely they are going to tell you that you owe them $1400. You need to find out why.

Did you drop a course?

Were you not attending full time?

Was your FAFSA verified? And you didn’t see the outcome?

Did you check your email...and spam folder?

If you DO owe the money, you need a way to pay it. I know it’s going to be a challenge for you.

edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • kelsmomkelsmom 15411 replies98 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 15,509 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    It's really important to find out what the "miscalculation" was & why it occurred. Find out exactly what happened (if your letter states a reason, cut & paste it here so we can see). Post what they told you here. We may not be able to provide helpful advice, but you never know. It depends on the reason for the change to your aid.
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids 83917 replies1003 discussionsForum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,920 Forum Champion
    try for next year to apply for nursing school. I just need them to call me back.

Have you applied and been accepted for this spring 2019? If so, then you can ask if you can delay enrollment until Fall and get this straightened out.

Do not expect them to call you. You keep calling them
    · Reply · Share