Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

NCP Doesn't Pay Court-Ordered Child Support - Zero Contract

13»

Replies to: NCP Doesn't Pay Court-Ordered Child Support - Zero Contract

• momofmusician17momofmusician17 Registered User Posts: 683 Member
    edited February 25
    @TrendaLeigh - Be prepared to be able to prove the lack of contact. My daughter's father has had no contact with her since May 2010. Our situation is such that it is very obvious that her father would not be able to contribute. We still had to provide 'proof' that he could not pay. We are not religious people, so a priest/preacher was out. Her HS Counselor started in August of last year and was not aware of the situation. She did end up writing a letter that said that her dad did not appear on any school records. I also had a court order from 2010 showing that the only contact that he could have with her was through letters, and other documentation that I would prefer not to put on an open forum. BTW - It cannot be your own attorney.

Even in a situation where it is blatantly obvious that there would be no way that the NCP could contribute, we still had to provide multiple pieces of proof.
  • TrendaLeighTrendaLeigh Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    @blossom - Yes, we have documentation about lack of payment as his wages were originally garnished, and those payments stopped when he moved/quit. I appreciate the advice about watching the tone...it's definitely more than a case of him not paying his fair share. In the last ten years, he's seen them once for about an hour. The only money we ever received was through garnishment - otherwise, no cards, no calls, much less presents.

@lookingforward, good advice. The waiver form specifically states that "no contact" may be an acceptable reason, but refusal to complete the CSS is explicitly not a reason.

@momofmusician17, gosh it's hard to prove a negative, isn't it? I have his name on school records, but never his address or phone. I'm confident her school counselor would be happy to help; I think I'll mention it now so there's a history to the conversation. Need to put aside my embarrassment...

Thank you for sharing your experiences and insight. Much appreciated.

• momofmusician17momofmusician17 Registered User Posts: 683 Member
    @TrendaLeigh - Explaining our situation to my daughter's counselor was awful, but necessary. Just remind yourself that you shouldn't be embarrassed. His actions have absolutely nothing to do with you.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,831 Senior Member
    In your situation, a letter from his brother might have some weight. The brother could confirm that he's not been around for years, that your children are not included in his family's events and holidays, that he takes steps to avoid you and the children.

It is really impossible for anyone but the FA officer to know what a school wants for the waiver. Last year there was a poster on CC whose ex did pay court ordered child support, but she still got a waiver at St. Olaf (and I think several other schools). We don't know what her divorced agreement called for but whatever it was, St. Olaf accepted it and granted the NCP waiver.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,038 Senior Member
    And your kiddo might get the waiver at some schools....but not at others. That happens too.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,614 Senior Member
    In general, due to the lack of transparency regarding NCP waivers, any college where getting an NCP waiver is necessary for affordability should automatically be put into the "reach" category, even if admission chances are estimated as "match", "likely", or "safety".
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,038 Senior Member
    @TrendaLeigh I noticed you mentioned your multiple 16 year olds on another thread. Do you have twins?

If you have two kids who will be attending college at the same time...and you are trying the net price calculators (some do account for single parents)....make sure you indicate there will be two in college.
  • TrendaLeighTrendaLeigh Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    Yes, they're twins, but she skipped 8th grade, so she''s a year ahead. (He's a sophomore.) At this point, he's not sure he even wants to go to college, at least right away; he says he can't stand the thought of four more years of sitting in a classroom. The funny thing is that he actually likes learning for learning's sake more than his sister, so I keep telling him that college is not like high school - no more interactive notebooks...!! Don't get me started. :-)

But yes, it's another factor to consider because I think in the end he will decide to go to an in-state college. I suppose this may help our NPC/EFC, but in reality, I'm sure it will cost more out-of-pocket if both are in school. Good to think longer term!