Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

NCP Doesn't Pay Court-Ordered Child Support - Zero Contract

TrendaLeighTrendaLeigh Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
We're in the early days of researching colleges, but I'm struggling to understand under what conditions colleges accept non-custodial parent waivers. While the father was paying court-ordered child support (deducted from check) he has stopped making all payments. He has not seen or spoken to either child in 9 years except four or five years ago for one lunch.

I had assumed this given the lack of contact and support, we would qualify for a waiver. However, I've since read that if he ever had ANY contact or provided any support, schools may not grant this.

I do not know where he is or if he's even working. He has had legal and tax issues and likely doesn't make enough to impact aid. If we cannot locate him or if he's unwilling to complete the form, can schools impute/estimate income?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Replies to: NCP Doesn't Pay Court-Ordered Child Support - Zero Contract

• intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,881 Senior Member
    You can only request waivers and see what the schools do. Be sure to have a couple options that are affordable and likely admits that don’t require NCP info.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,029 Senior Member
    You will need to contact EACH college to request a waiver. Find out what each school requires to be submitted to get a waiver. Get this done early in the application process.

You might get waivers at some schools and not at others.

Also ask if you will be required to submit for waivers in subsequent years. At some colleges, you will need to do this annually.
  • TrendaLeighTrendaLeigh Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    Thanks for the info. Would love to get a sense of our chances on this, but I guess like so much else, we'll have to wait and see. I don't think we're even going to tour any out-of-state schools until/unless she's accepted AND we can afford it.
    edited December 2018
    If they accept your waiver request, consider touring if the Calculator looks favorable. Ask the colleges how early you can apply for waivers. It is hard and stressful to tour all in April of senior year.
    edited December 2018
    @intparent the net price calculators have the potential to be inaccurate for single parents UNLESS the NPC specifically asks if there is only one parent (divorced, widow, never married).

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/2117796-narrowing-the-search-need-to-pick-your-collective-cc-brains-p1.html

This student is from Florida...and has Bright Futures and the potential for at least free tuition at the Florida public colleges.

Also, the student had fine stats...so far. I would suggest she look at University of South Carolina, and University of Alabama. College of Charleston might also be a good option. The two SC schools don’t have guaranteed merit aid, but they do have good merit options!

This student could also apply to University of Pittsburgh...I believe there are rolling admissions, and the earlier one applies, the more likely to get their merit aid.

Also, remember, even at large schools, the students don’t actually get to know over 20,000 students! And if there is an honors college, this can make the schools seem smaller.
    Well, right, but I said to do if AFTER she has the waivers. If the waiver is granted, then I assume the NPC would be accurate when just that parent's info is entered.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,828 Senior Member
    The FAFSA only schools will not be concerned with the NCP.

Some students aren't able to consider CSS schools because a NCP refuses to fill out the forms or has a new spouse who makes too much money. Some students can't consider OOS publics or private schools that don't meet full need. Financial aid awarding is not a perfect system and as applied to one family might be totally unfair, but that's the system we have to work with.

You can try for a waiver, but have lots of backup schools that use just the FAFSA. It's a lot of work to get the waivers, to file all the paperwork, to create a history of child support payments or contact. It might be worth it to you and your daughter to go to a certain school, but it is a lot of paperwork.
    @intparent

The net price calculator for a school is NOT going to change for a student because that student gets a NCP waiver.

In many cases, the NPC assumes two married parents...not a single parent. Parents here will tell you...there are things that are not advantageous in the financial aid process for single parents...starting with the asset protection allowance.

The NPC for a single parent family should be viewed as an estimate UNLESS the NPC specifically asks if the parents are married...or not.
    I am a single parent — and know how the NPCs work.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,900 Forum Champion
    Well, right, but I said to do if AFTER she has the waivers. If the waiver is granted, then I assume the NPC would be accurate when just that parent's info is entered.

I think you’re misunderstanding.

Some of the schools mentioned do NOT use NCP info ever. So those Net Price Calculators will be accurate. You won’t be asking/getting waivers from schools that do not use NCP info.

For instance, Thumper mentioned Alabama and SoCar....the NPC will be right, because those schools only use custodial parent info. I believe Alabama includes a section that asks for stats, which would tell you what merit your child would get.

As for the schools that do use NCP info....the Net Price Calculators for those schools only represent one household. So they would be accurate for YOUR info. So, for THOSE schools, you could assume you’d get a waiver, run the NPC and you’d have your answers.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,900 Forum Champion
    I don't think we're even going to tour any out-of-state schools until/unless she's accepted AND we can afford it.

Well, Bama has assured merit for stats, so you might know ahead of time whether it’s affordable.

Is your daughter a junior? Is she preparing to take the ACT/SAT ?? What is her GPA? Did she take the psat? How’d she do?
    edited December 2018
    My daughter is a junior at a public IB school in FL. Her GPA is 4/4.77 and numerous APs (5s on all.) Her PSAT scores were 760/ 750 and she's shooting for 1570/1580 on her SATs.

And she’ll make NMSF, likely NMF.

Well then, no need to worry. She’ll have options!!! She can go to a FL public for free as a NMF. She can go to Bama for nearly free. There are other schools as well.
    edited December 2018
    Are the research opportunities worth the lesser reputation of FAU (as compared to say UF) for a student who's likely interested in bio-medical research? What types of students attend?

So, is she interested in a PhD in bio-medical research? Is that her goal? If not, what is she thinking?

What does UCF or FSU have in this regard?
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,603 Senior Member
    As for the schools that do use NCP info....the Net Price Calculators for those schools only represent one household. So they would be accurate for YOUR info. So, for THOSE schools, you could assume you’d get a waiver, run the NPC and you’d have your answers.

Some colleges' NPCs do ask if the parents are divorced, and provide spaces to fill in NCP income and assets if they are. However, if the NCP is uncooperative, then there is no way for the OP to get that NCP income and asset information, and a college that requires NCP information and does not grant a waiver will not give financial aid in this case.