right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

CSS/Financial Aid Profile - Parents have different forms

GotJamsGotJams 3 replies2 threads New Member
Hey, so I've been working on my CSS financial aid profile and I'm doing the tax part for my parents. However, they both filed separate tax forms AND the type of form they did is different as well.
My dad filed the 1040

My mom filed the 1040EZ

So, in the part where it says "Select the type of federal income tax return the student's parents filed, or will file, for 2017", which do I choose? On the sidebar question thing it said to choose the more complex one. But, what makes it complex? Does it mean like the longer one or is it referring to the form that has the most information filled out? Because my dad has a longer form but my mom has more numbers involved....
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: CSS/Financial Aid Profile - Parents have different forms

  • blossomblossom 10339 replies9 threads Senior Member
    Are your parents married to each other? If not, which parent do you live with?
    · Reply · Share
  • GotJamsGotJams 3 replies2 threads New Member
    They are not married together, they only live together. I live with both of them.
    · Reply · Share
  • BelknapPointBelknapPoint 4926 replies19 threads Senior Member
    The 1040 is more complex than the 1040EZ. EZ stands for "easy." Get it?
    · Reply · Share
  • GotJamsGotJams 3 replies2 threads New Member
    What do I put for the part that says "Select the student's parents' federal tax filing status for 2017"?
    Because my parents aren't married, and they both filed different forms.
    The options that it gives me are:
    -Married, filing joint return
    -Head of household
    -Married, filing separate returns
    -Qualified widower with dependent child
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 4769 replies59 threads Senior Member
    What did they file as? Ask them.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 78028 replies3499 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    I would put 1040. It’s the more complex of the two tax forms. The bulk of your support probably came from the parent who filed that 1040 as well.

    In terms of filing status...ask your parents what they checked off on the tax returns they filed. Since they are not married, I would guess...single or maybe H of H...but you need to ask your parents...or LOOK at the 2017 tax returns. Where are you getting all of the info for the FAFSA form?

    Just so you know...both parent incomes and assets belong on your FAFSA because you all live together. Because they aren’t married, and filed separate returns, you will not be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool with your FAFSA. So...both of your parents should order a tax transcript....NOW.
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • GotJamsGotJams 3 replies2 threads New Member
    My dad filed it as Head of Household
    My mom said she was single...
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 78028 replies3499 threads Senior Member

    What does this kid do??
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity