Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Withdrawing Financial Aid Application

Moumo017Moumo017 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
Hi! I'm an international student from Japan. I have a question about FA application.

I've already sent my CSS Profile to Northwestern and Johns Hopkins. But I got a scholarship from the outside foundation so I won't need FA anymore. I know both schools are need-sensitive for int'l so I'm worried whether sending the profile would hurt my chance of acceptance... Do you think I should contact each school and withdraw my FA application?

I appreciate any help! Thank you!!!

Replies to: Withdrawing Financial Aid Application

• thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,073 Senior Member
    Do you have a full ride for all four years?
  • Moumo017Moumo017 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Yes, I got 70k for four years.
    edited December 2018
    $70,000 for each of four years! If that is the case...

Sure, contact the colleges and withdraw your financial aid application. Just be sure....because if you don’t apply as an incoming freshman, I don’t believe you can apply in the future.

ETA...since the school is need aware...do you have the confirmation of this scholarship? If so, you could notify financial aid that you have $70,000 a year in aid...that would likely take your financial need down to $0...

Hoping someone else replies!!
    Yes, I'm applying as an incoming freshman!

I'll contact the colleges. Thank you for your help!
    Just be sure that you absolutely will not need college aid in the future.
    I am just one person. Wait until someone else responds!!
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 29,442 Senior Member
    The colleges need to know the details. Some cannot admit international students without knowing exactly how that student will pay for their studies.

Contact the colleges. Give them all of the information about the scholarship: the name, the sponsoring organization, the amount of money awarded to you for each year, what you need to do to have the scholarship renewed each year, and any contact person they will need to stay in touch with. Some colleges will have heard about this scholarship, or will have had previous recipients as students. If so, they will know how likely it is that you will be able to keep the scholarship for all four years.
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 3,105 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    You can call FA and just ask the question. I would not cancel your FA yet. Get accepted to the school you want to go to. Once accepted then send them your scholarship and go from there. They will determine what you get or not.

As an example.. Cost of Northwestern is $75,700 plus like $3950 health insurance with all costs in. They can also assist you in the costs of a computer for school. These costs are just estimates also. If that's $70,000/year scholarship, that amazing and congratulations!

https://undergradaid.northwestern.edu/aid-basics-eligibility/cost-of-attendance.html
    Ok, I'll contact the FA office. Thank you!!