Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

EFC with twins (1 using NMF scholarship)

2»

Replies to: EFC with twins (1 using NMF scholarship)

• Eeyore123Eeyore123 Registered User Posts: 1,210 Senior Member
    Are the biological parents still married? Do you own a business or farm? If both are no and you have a normal salary income with normal types of assets (home, stocks, etc), it should be correct. Just be aware if one of the twins leaves school for any reason your net cost will increase for the one remaining.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,831 Senior Member
    Because ND is need based only, if both are going there and no other financial aid, I think you can expect to pay the $24k each if the ND calculator is usually correct (ask on that forum) and if your financial situation is straight forward (income is W2, no strange asset situation). If one goes to another school and gets merit aid, and ND cares about that, then that number might not hold.

I'd go with the 'sure, we'll pay $24k each until you learn otherwise.
  • carmartwinmomcarmartwinmom Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Thanks all. Yes we are still married and we have no unusual assets. For the NPC’s I ran I pulled out our 2017 tax return so I’m pretty confident I ran everything correctly.
    I did run Yale’s (just to see one Ivy- I’m not sure either will apply, but they do want to tour a couple. We did tour U Chicago which had that Ivy feel, but they both could not see themselves there so they won’t apply). Yale’s came out to $18kish for one.
    I didn’t save anything. I think today I will run some again and start printing things out to stay more organized and realistic.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,605 Super Moderator
    Keep in mind that the Finanical aid given by HYP, is not the same level of financial aid that you will receive from the rest of the Ivies. The good thing is the NPC is giving you a net price of 18K. The bad thing is the 5% admit rate
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,900 Forum Champion
    edited January 1
    HYPS give “super aid,” so their results will not be the same as the other ivies/top schools.

Try running Cornell or Brown to see their results.
  • twinsmamatwinsmama Registered User Posts: 1,625 Senior Member
    I have twins at schools that meet need, and (unless your kids really want to go to very large universities) I highly recommend you research those colleges. Of course, in the end, they didn't all provide the same amount of aid, but the colleges my kids chose both came through with more aid when my husband had a major medical crisis that put him out of work for a while. It's a good feeling to know that your kids won't have to leave college if something drastic happens with your finances, and that is probably only possible with private, well-endowed schools. Anyway, it has worked out for us, and we are paying an amount that has been manageable so far. Only one of the kids had to take out modest loans as part of his FA package.
  • TdoesCollegeTdoesCollege Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    edited January 1
    @carmartwinmom Re: "printing" out NPC results: Please see if you can save as a pdf instead. (pdf is better than an image or screen shot) Create a subdirectory for each school to save this and related info in by school. (When a school is eliminated from your search, it's so easy to either delete the directory or move it to a different parent directory.) Otherwise it's so easy to get buried under piles of paper, which you will anyway with mailings from colleges.

YMMV
  • carmartwinmomcarmartwinmom Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    U Wisc was the worst by far.

The rest all seemed to fall within the $17,000 - $25,000 range. Some had a student loan and work portion worked in which lowered the EFC to around the $18K