Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Disbursement of financial aid on hold due to academic warning review

2»

Replies to: Disbursement of financial aid on hold due to academic warning review

• RedLariRedLari Registered User Posts: 105 Junior Member
    18 classes? You must mean 18 units which is six classes, which is a heavy load by any standards.

Maybe you should start with the average 12 unit schedule, at least to get your GPA up to acceptable standards?
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,466 Forum Champion
    When I met with my advisor we used the official GPA calculator made for my school by putting the required grades and number of credits in. I'm taking 18 classes this semester all worth 3 credits each. I would need a 3.3 or higher this semester for my cumulative gpa to reach 2.033.

?

How many credits are represented by the 1.8 GPA? 100?

? You’re a Pell Grant recipient, and you’re attending Penn State on mostly Parent Plus loans??? Who is going to pay off those loans? It sounds like you’ll have about $200k of debt by the time you graduate. If that’s not true, how much total debt will you have (Fed Direct + Parent Plus)?

How are you paying for the 50+ credits this semester?
  • glitterjessglitterjess Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    Oops sorry! I meant 18 credits total, not 18 classes.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 73,188 Senior Member
    18 credits of all A grades are not going to move 100 credits with an accumulated GPA of 1.8 above the 2.0 mark...

At least not the way i calculate it.

Anyone else?

And if you got all B, C, D and F grades, what makes you think you can get a 4.0 with a full course load.

Are you hoping to continue to receive federally funded aid...including loans? It sounds like that is your goal.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,754 Senior Member
    So your parent was ill to the point that you had to go home every weekend to take care of them, and is in a home now.

How do you expect them to still take out loans for you?

Did this all happen during the beginning of the semester? Could you have dropped the classes and taken a leave of absence to focus on caring for your parent, and continued school later? Or taken online classes for a semester so you don't have to commute?

What school are you in that has a special gpa calculator?
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN Registered User Posts: 2,958 Senior Member
    The numbers work for me. Consider 6 completed semesters with an average of 1.8. Then the OP will go this spring and summer. If the number of credits are roughly the same for each time period (presumably with 18 credits now and fewer than that in the summer) getting a 3.3 in the spring and summer will put his average over a 2.0. The calculator is a standard advising tool.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,466 Forum Champion
    edited January 10
    The numbers work for me. Consider 6 completed semesters with an average of 1.8. Then the OP will go this spring and summer. If the number of credits are roughly the same for each time period (presumably with 18 credits now and fewer than that in the summer) getting a 3.3 in the spring and summer will put his average over a 2.0. The calculator is a standard advising tool.

He has 7 completed semesters....you have to include fall

1.8 x 7 = 12.6 (assuming 105 credits...which is about 7 semesters of credits.... 189 pts )
    3.3 x 2 = 6.6. ( assuming 18+12 credits....99 pts)
    —————————

Of course this is assuming that a student who’s been doing so poorly for 7 semesters can somehow get at least a 3.3 over the next 8 months while taking 30 credits.

And how is this low income student funding this semester and summer classes at a pricey OOS public??
2»