right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Lily Wuerth got into UC Berkeley, UCLA, Georgia Tech, Rice, USC, etc. She decided to attend Georgia Tech, where she will be majoring in chemical engineering. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Do NOT assume that a Scholarship will be given to Current College Student for Being on Dean’s List!

13»

Replies to: Do NOT assume that a Scholarship will be given to Current College Student for Being on Dean’s List!

• MDemerseMDemerse 1 replies0 threads New Member
    This is a good reason why students and parents should be searching out scholarship opportunities where ever they may be. My daughter has been on the Dean's List almost every semester (she currently has a 3.9 GPA.) but my son...well, not so much. But he's a great writer. We've looked for scholarships where he can use that skill. You'd be surprised at the smaller scholarships that don't have GPA requirements, period--like this one that's available from a local business here in our community. https://www.axcontrol.com/scholarship
    · Reply · Share
  • SolarGoatSolarGoat 71 replies30 threads Junior Member
    edited April 15
    Never assume this! At my university, the dean's list is an academic honor. It is nothing other than a note on the transcript. It is for students who maintain a 3.5 or above GPA. There isn't even a physical list. It is just a note. While a 3.2 GPA is the minimum for keeping the presidential automatic scholarships at my university, keeping above a 3.5 gives you nothing. Do work hard to make a high GPA, and if you do find yourself on the dean's list, that's great, but don't expect anything in return. It can help you to receive outside aid and potentially jobs and internships. Also, a 3.5 GPA is enough to graduate cum laude at my university, so if you're looking to graduate with honors, that may be something as well.
    edited April 15
    · Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 6406 replies1 threads Senior Member
    "I have heard of small rare scholarships given to current high achieving college students."

I have heard of this also, but at a school that is not in the US. Also the amounts have been small. When your child is at a school **that was already affordable** it is nice to get an additional $1,000 off one time spread over a year's tuition. No one should count on it.

I expect that this issue will probably come up in future threads, and it is useful for many of us to be aware of some of the misperceptions that some people come in with.
    · Reply · Share