Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should I just give up on my Scholarship hunt at this point?

Grijalva480Grijalva480 Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
Right now, I'm trying to find scholarships that I can apply and win immediately so I can use it to pay for a Study Abroad Program in Japan this summer(for my major) before it's deadline on March 1st.

No matter how hard I try, I can't find a single scholarship that I qualify for because I'm not a full-time student. People keep saying how scholarships are "easy", which is a load of BS. If it's so easy, then why am I'm struggling to find one for part-time students like myself?

Replies to: Should I just give up on my Scholarship hunt at this point?

• MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,582 Senior Member
    These scholarships are usually offered by your college's study abroad system. Has that resulted in nothing?
  • Grijalva480Grijalva480 Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    @MYOS1634 Pretty much nothing because they all seem to be restricted only to Full-Time Students. Right now, I'm applying for a Study Abroad Grant(since it doesn't mention if whether or not I'm required to be a Full-Time Student in order to qualify) to give it a shot and see what happens next.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,582 Senior Member
    edited February 9
    Generally part time students are expected to be doing something most of the time (ie., Work, raise children ) and thus aren't expected to go abroad. I'm afraid it's a loophole. :-(
    Fingers crossed on the study abroad grant .
  • Grijalva480Grijalva480 Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    @MYOS1634 The only reason why I'm not a Full-Time Student is because of how I reluctant I am to go full-time. I fear that going full-time will conflict with my work schedule too much to the point where I have no choice but to quit my job and risk racking myself up in more credit card and student loan debt than I already have while. Plus, I don't know if taking more courses at University will significantly increase the tuition cost, which is another fear of mine of going full-time.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,864 Senior Member
    Do you qualify for a Pell Grant?

https://www.iie.org/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program

Deadline is February 18th