Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How Do I Go About Leveraging Scholarships for More Merit Scholarships?

2»

Replies to: How Do I Go About Leveraging Scholarships for More Merit Scholarships?

• sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,459 Super Moderator
    @Britmom5

Not trying to derail your thread, but I see one of the schools your child was accepted to is Penn State.

they are upfront with their policy
    Penn State wrote:

Penn State cannot negotiate student aid packages to match grant and scholarship offers from other colleges and universities.

One in five undergraduates receives a University scholarship. Awards vary and are determined by donor guidelines. The average award is $2,500 for the academic year. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit or financial need, or a combination, as defined by the specific scholarship program.

Scholarship awards can be made by the student's campus (if other than University Park), college, the Office of Student Aid, or other administrative units. Awards are made to exemplary students and are highly competitive due to limited funding.

Students should pursue available scholarships through their campus or their academic college.

https://studentaid.psu.edu/consumer-information/policy
  • Britmom5Britmom5 Registered User Posts: 322 Member
    Thank you @sybbie719 We havent heard back from PennState yet, but I’ll keep that in mind.
  • gpo613gpo613 Registered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    I have no idea if this will be successful but I wrote an actual letter asking about additional money and had a comparison for a pretty close peer school. I also sent it certified mail. From working in an office I know people pay attention to certified mail. I sent it last week. We will see how it goes.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,633 Senior Member
    Certified mail is not always a good idea. The mail rooms are used to processing letters but 'special handling' can throw them off.
  • momtogirls2momtogirls2 Registered User Posts: 630 Member
    I would start by calling admissions and asking if there is a special form to fill out. Some schools have very strict rules for appeals.
  • ufalumn1997ufalumn1997 Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    In my state, there isn't any negotiating on merit with our big state schools. They don't care. They have good enough yield that they don't need to negotiate.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,633 Senior Member
    It is not that big schools don't want to negotiate, it's that they can't. They don't have pots of money to use for merit awards. They have what they have and they've given it out.
  • gpo613gpo613 Registered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    @twoinanddone Well I said I sent a letter with a comparison offer to a relatively close peer school. I sent it 2 weeks ago and today D19 gets an email with a revision of financial aid offering $5K more a year. They did not match, but did get closer. Now the decision is going to be harder.

Don't ask which college. I am not going to say. They have reps that are pretty active on this site.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 12,294 Senior Member
    Great news! Never hurts to ask :)
2»