Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Merit Scholarship Class 2024

40119594011959 Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
I have not found any discussion group focused on this topic.
I guess getting substantial merit scholarship at a top university is almost as competitive as getting accepted to an Ivy.
Am I wrong?

Replies to: Merit Scholarship Class 2024

• CTScoutmomCTScoutmom Registered User Posts: 1,890 Senior Member
    Getting substantial merit at some schools is easy and sometimes automatic, but in most cases there is a limit supply of merit aid, and yes it is quite competitive.
  • 40119594011959 Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    Thank you for your comment.
    My son is looking at schools where his scores are above the 75 pct.
    His list:
    University of Pittsburgh
    University of Miami
    University of Florida
    UNC
    BU
    UVA
    BC
    Tulane
    University of Richmond
    Georgia Tech
    And yes, we are in the east coast and he has no desire to go west.
    New Orleans might be a stretch and Richmond might be too small...
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 5,689 Senior Member
    The very top universities don't give merit because A) they don't have to and B) everyone that gets accepted would qualify for merit anyway.

If you need merit you need to look at schools that give merit (and the amount of merit you need). You also need to look at the total COA not just the amount of merit.

If you need merit make sure you apply to at least a few schools with assured merit. I have three kids and no "need" according to the schools, so far my two oldest have done very well with assured merit at schools that were great fits for them and I have high hopes for my youngest (college class of 2024) as well. For our family, we have found National Merit the best bet for assured merit for the schools they wanted.
    You are correct about the very top universities. They are out of his list.
    Every school he is considering offers substantial merit scholarship, none is "assured" though.
    Obtaining merit at these schools will be very difficult. If that doesn't happen, he will go to a first rate state school.

@4011959 state school are unlikely to give merit to OOS students unless they offer assured merit. University of Miami offers some good merit but unless you get some of the very competitive merit like Stamps, it's still going to be expensive. You really need need to figure out how much you can/are will to pay for four years of undergrad including transportation not just for your student but also for you to attend various events. If your student is National Merit UF and U of Miami might be good options.
  • Happy4uHappy4u Registered User Posts: 210 Junior Member
    @4011959 - BC merit is extremely limited (15 applicants per year). It now also only includes tuition and requires significant summer participation. You might know this, but if others are using this thread as potential research.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 5,144 Senior Member
    Some of the merit at state schools goes way down for OOS applicants. They can also be major dependent. For example, it's very hard for OOS engineering majors to get money from GT regardless of stats.

I would also encourage your to look at major specific stats and not the overall stats for a given school when determining safety/match/reach. Also, look at OOS acceptance rates vs instate as they can vary widely.
  • mamag2855mamag2855 Registered User Posts: 771 Member
    @4011959 The large merit scholarships at most of the schools on your son's list are ultra competetive, particularly at UVA, UNCCH.

Winners of these big merit scholarships will have stats competive for top 10 schools, and will be well above the 75%iles, will have excellent ECs and leadership roles, etc., especially if big merit is needed to attend.

Winning big merit will likely require applying to colleges several tiers lower than "match" schools for your son. Colleges generally offer their big merit $ to very high stats students who help boost their student profiles.

I have 2 URichmond grads, who has great experiences while there, and were also Richmond scholars. They had 3.9+ UW HS gpas, lots of APs, NMFs, one had a 35 ACT, the other 1600 CR+M SAT, so way over UR's 75%ile. One of them also was accepted to UNCCH, with good need based aid, but no merit.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 11,122 Senior Member
    UNC and UVA have a very small number of merit scholarships for OOS I believe. They do meet need based on CSS profile.

Pitt gives some merit to OOS, but you might need ACT over 33 or SAT over 1490 and top grades and class rank.

It's worth a try. But I would apply early.

• elodyCOHelodyCOH Registered User Posts: 371 Member
    Tulane is changing it's tactic and has significantly reduced the number of full tuition merit scholarships, and reduced the amount they give in merit based in favor of granting more need based aid. Admissions at Tulane this year was particularly brutal - I think they are around 13%. Most students who were admitted got in during the ED rounds. Even with a full tuition scholarship, Tulane will run $25K per year for room, board and fees. Most getting merit scholarships were getting in the $20-30K range, most $27K and below. With this year's tuition at $76K, that's a lot to come up with even with the merit award.
  • ufalumn1997ufalumn1997 Registered User Posts: 144 Junior Member
    Here's what I've learned....the college admissions process is difficult. Getting accepted to an out of state - state school is difficult enough. Getting into top schools is difficult enough. That's without even talking about merit. Many places have merit scholarships, but offer them to few students. Even with merit, private schools or out of state schools can still be quite expensive. For example: Not sure what state you are in, but Georgia Tech had a 14% acceptance rate of out of state students in early action...and 40 out of state students get provost which is an out of state tuition waver. (my son was one of these, but cost was still 28,000 a year with that waiver)

My son is staying in state now but he was accepted to some amazing schools like Duke and Georgia Tech....he received amazing packages, but still expected to be out of pocket a large amount. Didn't make financial sense for him even though he had dreams. Prior to this experience, I overestimated what he would be offered.

I would definitely determine what you can afford as a family and make a plan without banking on merit. Decision day is May 1 and my son made his decision April 3 after receiving all financial packages. It made for a long process when he received his first offer in October. But as the acceptances come in, it helps if you have some up front discussion.

You can research that some of the schools on his list are known for not giving much merit. I am not familiar with some others.

You might also keep in mind that applying for competitive merit is a lot of work - applications, essays, videos, references, interviews ... and you need to watch those deadlines! Plus, as mentioned earlier, many have additional strings attached in addition to maintaining a certain GPA.
    Even at URichmond, which gives out 25 full ride Richmond Scholar scholarships with a class size of approx. 800, odds are slim, when you consider that 3500+ students were accepted last year.
    Thank you so much. I truly appreciate the feedback.
    We live in New York State and will be able to afford a top SUNY school where my son will get an excellent education. He knows his SUNY options.
    This post is about the places he dreams to go and how difficult will be to get substantial merit scholarship at any of those schools.
    To go OOS, his tuition will have to be reduced to what we would pay at SUNY, about $25k per year.
    Any thoughts, comments, or personal experiences will be appreciated.
    It is great that you already have some excellent, affordable in state options, and are discussing financials! What are you son's academic interests? Size/location preferences?