Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Merit Scholarships

13»

Replies to: Merit Scholarships

• playacarplayacar Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    In realize it has already been mentioned, but please take a close look at Florida State. We are out of state and my kids have enjoyed instate tuition ( merit award) of around 7k minus merit scholarships. My daughter was a Presidential Scholar- amazing annual merit plus a single 12k enrichment grant. She graduated last week, is pursuing her dream of working as a scientist on a tall ship, unencumered by debt. My son is enjoying their nationally ranked risk management and real estate programs. Their required stats get higher every year, so i don’t know what you need for the instate tuition deal for next year, but if you can get it, it’s a great deal. D15 loved it so much that S17 followed his sister there.
    Don’t fall for the glamour of a highly ranked Ivy or LAC. Unless you can afford it, that is, and it does not sound like you can. In order to get the sweet aid packages, your stats need to be in the upper percentiles for that school. If you want a deal, you won’t be able to go to the highest ranked school that will accept you. Go where they give you the most love. Two of my daughters friends got Fulbright’s, one is going to UVA for law, one for grad school, one to Yale law school, another to FSU law on an amazing fellowship. Beautiful campus, lots of new buildings going up. Amazing school spirit. Nice dorms and reasonably priced apts for later years. Wonderful undergrad research opportunities. I must admit that the location is difficult to get to, the local Tallahassee airport is very small and has high airfares. But it is a minor inconvenience, compared to its many benefits. We are so grateful for the wonderful opportunities that this school has provided for our kids.
    I believe U of Mississippi has great merit, too
    As has been observed, almost any school will cost at least 12k for room and board, so even a modest tuition amount brings you up near 20k per year.
    As much as possible, minimize you and your parents debt by finding the school with the lowest net cost. High school math teachers are not super high earners, and you don’t want to have to work a second job for years just to repay your college loans.