right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

how to pay for college if financial aid doesn't cover everything

124»

Replies to: how to pay for college if financial aid doesn't cover everything

• HiToWaMomHiToWaMom 1486 replies19 threads Senior Member
    Wow, I am rooting for you!
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 25019 replies20 threads Senior Member
    I think you've done an excellent job of balancing the costs with what you need out of college. Don't worry about the big classes - we've all lived through a few. Go to the office hours, join a discussion group if the school offers to organize one, sit toward the front.

I think you've worked things out very well. Now you just need to have fun.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43293 replies471 threads Senior Member
    Sit in the first three rows, directly in front of the desk/podium/ board.
    If there's a discussion section Ed by the professor, take that one.
    Go introduce yourself at the beginning or end of the first class; "hello professor Z, my name is Gavin Martin, I'm very happy to be taking this class with you. I was wondering if it's okay if I come during your first office hour just to make sure I hit the ground running!" (The professor will say "Absolutely". Most students don't show up the first week, even though they should. )
    · Reply · Share
  • alostcollegekidalostcollegekid 38 replies8 threads Junior Member
    edited May 2019
    So, just talked to my cousin. I knew 3 more people were going to move in with her as well because their house flooded. however she failed to tell me that 2 of my cousins lived there already, I thought they lived with their mom. I'm literally never gonna have privacy because everyone has there own room but me. I could sleep in the den, but the floor needs remodeling. I liked how she failed to tell me (or I failed to ask) that after I paid the $200 enrollment fee and after scheduling classes, hopefully my schedule works so that I'm rarely there but to go to sleep.
    edited May 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • TQfromtheUTQfromtheU 1540 replies17 threads Senior Member
    Yes, Do what you need to do to get your degree. You cousin sounds kind hearted. Rent a hotel room for a night or weekend if you need a break from the house. It will be cheaper than living on campus. You can check your budget and see if moving on campus works for you n the spring or next year.

Go to LSU and be great. You should ace the classes you are taking over and that will help your LSU GPA. Don't look back. To be blunt, I never hear of the other two schools and LSU is the respected state flagship. My OOS DD and at least four of her friends chose LSU over several other options. Geaux Tigers!
    · Reply · Share
  • mommdcmommdc 11907 replies31 threads Senior Member
    Is the floor in the den structurally safe but needs replacing? Could you put inexpensive carpet squares or an area rug on the floor?

Just plan on being there for showering and sleeping. The library will be a better place to keep you focused on studying.

You can do this, you came this far, and only need to finish your degree.
    · Reply · Share
    Carpet cuts leftover from wall-to-wall carpeting remodelling are very cheap and effective.
    Will you have a closet or cupboard for your things? A table/chair? A bookshelf? If not, go to the areas around the campus: many students discard their large belongings on the sidewalk and anyone can pick them up, so bookshelf, chair, etc could just be yours for the taking. Now and June are likely the best times to pick things up since that's when students move out.
    I agree that studying in the library is better anyway.
    · Reply · Share
    Nope. I will be sharing a room with my older cousin and possibly sleeping in the same bed as her (it's a queen sized bed) but idk how that's going to work out because I sleep bad. The den they pull up the carpet but haven't replace the flooring yet and idk when they are going to this. Also, One of the financial aid workers told me on the phone that my free tuition might only be for 4 semesters (but it will take me 5 to graduate), I emailed another worker to see if it is true because this might change my mind on going there (I might not have enough financial aid to go to LSU if this is true, I went in and out of college so I might have less than 4 semester left of free tuition). I would have to take out third party loans. I feel like I'm stuck and making the wrong decision, if this stuff is true then LSU might be out of the question, but if I go to Nicholls I still would have to take out third party loans. It's like I can't win for nothing. It's so hard figuring out this stuff alone, I don't want to make the wrong decision. I feel like if I didn't have to worry about money then I would make the right decision on where to go to college. I have people that tell me not to worry about the money and do what's best for me, but I feel like I can't do that if I'm worrying about taking/paying back student loans. I do know LSU would be better because you have so many opportunities to grow, learn, and make connections so you can find a job. If I go to Nicholls I might get few opportunities to network and find a job.
    · Reply · Share
    LSU is *still* cheaper than Niholls with better ROI for you.
    Buy an inflatable mattress. Even a cheap one will be okay.
    · Reply · Share
  • BuckeyeMWDSGBuckeyeMWDSG 1102 replies14 threads Senior Member
    You can paint subfloor with a sealing primer and often that is a helpful step when refurbishing an older home before putting new carpet down. If the subfloor is functional you could ask to paint it which will give you a clean surface. I'm sure there are DIY tutorials online, then place an area rug (or even just an old quilt) on the floor and offer to move everything in and out for the eventual carpet job (which usually only takes a day).
    · Reply · Share
  • mommdcmommdc 11907 replies31 threads Senior Member
    If you have free tuition and qualify for Pell, then you should have some money towards living expenses. You can also borrow up to $12,500 as an independent student in junior and senior year. You might only need one or two more classes and might be able to take them in one summer session, in addition to the other four semesters.
    · Reply · Share
    I emailed the financial aid counselor, and he said that the award is based on credit hours earned. So hopefully that means I have 2 years left for free tuition. Hopefully that means me going in and out of college will not effect my eligibility for free tuition. I am thinking about staying and trying to get an apartment on campus because it's my first semester and it will be easier to make friends and be involved. Maybe after that I can stay with my cousin because if my schedule has huge gaps in it, I can stay on campus (like someones dorm, rec center, etc.) because I already know people. I am also learning that my lawyer went to LSU so maybe he can give me some ideas.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 25019 replies20 threads Senior Member
    No option is going to be perfect, and you just have to take a leap and make it work. You may have to take a summer class that you pay for, you may have to take an extra class one semester. You can do it! If you can live on campus, at least for the first year, do it. You can then see how things are going at your cousin's house.

Once you are in school, make friends at the FA office. They may 'find' an extra scholarship for you from an alum or you department. There might be a good work study job (in the FA office!?). Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

· Reply · Share
  • scmom12scmom12 3237 replies21 threads Senior Member
    In terms of avoiding house except for sleeping, a few hints. Many schools have a commuter center with a place to hang out during the day plus special events to help commuters feel connected to school. Also, if it is in your comfort zone/appeals to you, try different religious centers. I spent lots of time at our campus Presbyterian center and it was a nice place to hang out, study or nap. And bonus - many of these have weekly dinners that are free.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity