Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

how to pay for college if financial aid doesn't cover everything

124»

Replies to: how to pay for college if financial aid doesn't cover everything

• alostcollegekidalostcollegekid Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    I am researching if LSU will be cheaper if I live with my cousin than living and attending Nicholls or Louisiana Tech. Honestly I would love to wait and see what each school offers me in financial aid and scholarships, however, that might not be the case because I have to wait at least 2-3 weeks for them to process my final transcript. I don't think I can wait that long, colleges are starting orientation and if I wait that long classes will be filled up and then I have no choice but to sit out. Sitting out is something I do not want to do, I am just hitting my stride in school. Also ULL had something close to my major called business informatics like stated in my previous post, only 39 out of my 60 credits transfer, why would I be a freshman or sophomore again when I can go somewhere else and be a Junior? I would not be saving money because I am spending more money on school because I am staying there longer. However, all of my classes do transfer into the business major at ULL, I do not want to just major in business that why I am changing my major. I could stay home and go to ULL major in business and minor in computer, but once again I am spending more money because it would take me longer to graduate (you have to have at 18 credits to graduate with your minor) not to mention that I will be taking classes that I am no longer enthusiastic about. I could also stay and go to ULL and change my major to general studies and take computer classes, but that is if the computer department allows to to take their classes (you know because people in that major will have first dibs on classes). Why risk not being able to get in a class for the convenience of staying home.
  • promom4promom4 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    LSU would be a superior academic experience. Call Student services and see what they can do to help you. Ask if you can use your Pell grant for room & board. Ask about work study. Call them today.
    @katwkittens does it matter what department you work in at carmax? I rather do anything else but sell the cars.
  • TQfromtheUTQfromtheU Registered User Posts: 1,491 Senior Member
    edited May 14
    Chase LSU like a hungry tiger! That is a wonderful opportunity. Pelican Promise makes me want to cry for joy for you! Tuition and fees covered + Pell grant. Meet with the financial aid people to see what costs remain. You might be able to live on campus if the money is there.

Regarding jobs, CarMax should have an on-site finance department where clerks (?) complete the paperwork. Banks hire part timers for the branches and provide tuition reimbursement. Pick a bank close to school or where you will live to make it easy to get there.
  • katwkittenskatwkittens Registered User Posts: 2,295 Senior Member
    @alostcollegekid

Benefits at Carmax are for all employees regardless of department. And selling cars at Carmax is like selling laptops at Bestbuy. Prices are as marked, no negotiating, and the smaller cross-functional stores you are trained in all aspects, paid hourly with no commissions part-time and full-time. All aspects is selling, financing, logistics, processing all paperwork (business office), vehicle assessment, transferring vehicles throughout the nation, tech and corporate. Carmax promotes from within, especially for management.
    @TQfromtheU yeah, right now LSU financial aid department is verifying my tax transcript with my fafsa to make sure I'm eligible to receive it. So Hopefully I am (I mean they did send me the email saying I was eligible). I'm going to look into the carmax tuition reimbursement, hopefully me having an associates degree in business will make me more look more hire able. And everyone is telling me that its their dream school, it was mine as well. I never thought I would get in, when I did I was shocked. I am setting up an appointment so I can meet with them next week so I can she how my classes transfer over.
    UPDATE: I did get the pelican promise award. It only covers tuition and registration fees, the rest of my financial aid will have to cover textbooks. I talked to my cousin and everything is good, I am going to Baton Rouge to see the house Tuesday (I haven't been there in like a yr or 2) and to double check everything. As long as I don't loose the pelican promise award or have to magically move (everything is good, I just like to prepare for the worst) I should be good to attend LSU. I don't know if this is everywhere or just in Louisiana, but why do they wait until the end of June to wait and see if tuition goes up or down? This worries me, but I know the price won't go up or down magically to a $1000. At the most maybe $200-500. Even with LSU giving me this award (along with pell grants is estimated $16,155, I also still get the $12,500 in loans) I still can't help but to be worried, what if I flunk out again? What if I don't fit in? I know you guys are probably slapping yourselves when I tell you I still haven't made a decision on where I'm going (half because of tuition, the other because I like all 3 colleges), I wanted all the facts before I make this important decision. But I can't wait until the end of June-beginning of July to make this decision, that would be late and I would be cutting it close even trying to register for orientation to register for classes. Most people made their decision on may 1st, I wish I wasn't so indecisive. I just don't want to make the wrong decision since I'll be a Junior and it will be harder to transfer.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,225 Senior Member
    Sounds like LSU is the best option: free tuition and fees, housing guaranteed, enough money left to cover books, it has your major, they'd take your credits if I remember properly..
    Yes it looks like my classes transfer. I am meeting with them Tuesday so I can double check. I think one of my science classes doesn't transfer over (I took physical science to avoid taking biology, but it seem like I might need it). I hate How you have to go up there and meet with them, all the other colleges I applied to just did an transcript evaluation through email. hIf they didn't do it in an email, they had the exact classes listed for that curriculum on the college website. I guess since LSU is bigger they can't do stuff like that. https://www.lsu.edu/business/sdeis/academics/bs-isds/curriculum.php
  • promom4promom4 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    I wouldn't buy any books until after the first day of class to see if you really need them. You can also rent textbooks through Amazon.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 11,166 Senior Member
    edited May 17
    If you have a tuition and fees award, then if tuition goes up, I assume it will also go up to cover the increase.

Then you need money for housing and food.

You can use the Pell Grant and loans for that. You can borrow up to $12,500 as a junior. Take the subsidized loans first. You don't have to borrow that much if you don't need it.

Pell Grant might cover most of your living expenses depending on rent and food expenses.

Then books can be rented and bought used possibly.

You can get a part time or work study job at school.

You should be fine.

LSU sounds like a great choice. Affordable, you can transfer most of your credits, it has your major and if you can live with your cousin, you will have someone familiar there.

Good luck, you will do great!!