right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Unmarried living together

StoneWillowsStoneWillows 0 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1 New Member
My understanding after reading posts here is that any outside money from a BF that pays bills in the same house I live in is counted as income, Correct?
I am a disabled senior, age 65, wanting to attend college. If living expenses are a shared deal between partners, yet one pays house mortgage etc. and I pay household bills, food gas, does that income from Boyfriend count towards fasa application?
I receive SSDI. Any help would be appreciated.
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Unmarried living together

• sybbie719sybbie719 20644 replies1977 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 22,621 Super Moderator
    edited June 7
    If the mortgage is in both of your names and your partner pays the mortgage, it is income. Any bills in your name your partner pays is income.

In addition your income may prompt a low income verification where the financial aid office may ask for proof of how you are meeting your day to day expense.
    edited June 7
    · Reply · Share
  • mommdcmommdc 11239 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11,268 Senior Member
    Bills paid on your behalf by someone whose financial information is not listed on the FAFSA, is income for the year you received it I believe.

For the 2019/20 FAFSA it will ask about 2017 income.

For the 2020/21 FAFSA it will ask about 2018 income.

@kelsmom can correct me if wrong, but I don't think SSDI counts as income for FAFSA.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73033 replies3180 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,213 Senior Member
    If you are 65, you should into what some of the community colleges offer for seniors. Around here, they can audit courses for free, and can take courses for a very reduced price.

If you want to attend for a degree program, you will likely have to pay something...but if it’s to gain information and not degree seeking, you might be able to audit for either free or a reduced cost. It’s totally worth asking.

Also, you do know that you need to attend college at least half time in a degree seeking program to get need based financial aid from colleges...is that your plan?
    · Reply · Share
  • mommdcmommdc 11239 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11,268 Senior Member
    Did you reach out to a Vocational Rehabilitation program in your town?
    · Reply · Share
  • kelsmomkelsmom 15411 replies98 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 15,509 Senior Member
    The info posted above is correct. SSDI does not have to be reported on the FAFSA. Only the amount of money your BF paid for bills that are in YOUR name is reported (if the bills are in both your names, split the amount ... if your name is not on a bill, you don't report that).

While you may have to provide low income verification, please do not let that deter you from applying for aid. Sadly, it does keep people who need aid most from applying or completing verification.

I agree about looking for senior deals for school, voc rehab, etc. My state has programs for displaced workers; maybe yours does, as well. Contact your local council on aging (or whatever they call your local organization for seniors) - they should be able to provide resources in terms of programs from which you might benefit.
    · Reply · Share
  • scmom12scmom12 3058 replies21 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,079 Senior Member
    Our local state university offers free tuition over 60. Might want to check around for that.
    · Reply · Share
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 6626 replies139 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,765 Senior Member
    Why would people who are effectively retired expect the rest of us to help them go to college?
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 28056 replies56 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 28,112 Senior Member
    There are rules as to who gets financial aid and how. Age, disability, not part of criteria.

In fact, one of my states offers FREE tuition to senior citizens at the state schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • sybbie719sybbie719 20644 replies1977 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 22,621 Super Moderator
    SUNY/CUNY allows you to audit courses for a nominal fee each year, You do not get to pursue a degree for free tuition.
    · Reply · Share