right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Which Private Colleges Have Offered Significant Aid to Low-Income Families?

CCEdit_TorreyCCEdit_Torrey 26 replies212 discussionsEditor Posts: 238 Editor
In this article, Dave Berry breaks down the top five most affordable colleges for low-income students. Which private schools have offered generous packages to you or your students? https://www.collegeconfidential.com/articles/most-affordable-private-colleges-for-low-income-families/
edited June 15
17 replies
Post edited by skieurope on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Which Private Colleges Have Offered Significant Aid to Low-Income Families?

• milgymfammilgymfam 665 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 677 Member
    @thumper1 I am not arguing for the article, but I will say that the most selective schools are the best option for low income students. Realistically, if they’re an average student there are likely no affordable options outside of community college- or a state school they’re close enough to commute to (and not always even then).
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 28352 replies56 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 28,408 Senior Member
    The selective schools are good reaches for low income students but you have to get in to get the financial aid. Yeah, Harvard FinnAid is very generous, but look at the accept rates.

The real challenge for every applicant who wants to go away for school and has financial constraints is finding that safety school that will accept-the applicant and cost no more than the student and family can afford. Sometimes there is no such school, and college means taking courses on line or at local college, maybe community college, sometimes one course at a time. If test scores and grades are not high, those are the only options for someone who can’t afford the cost of college.

My state, NY, has managed to come up with an award to cover most of state tuition for kids from family’s under a certain income. Still doesn’t cover kids who have to work— and part time is all, and certainly does not pay for the pricey room and board most SUNYs charge. Also, kids whose parents won’t give financial info , or who can but won’t pay are stuck. But it’s better than what a lot of states have to offer.
    · Reply · Share
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal 5393 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,403 Senior Member
    That list would make me despair...
    · Reply · Share
  • LMK5LMK5 102 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
    Northeastern offered my daughter 31k per year as a National Hispanic Scholar.
    · Reply · Share
  • katespearekatespeare 137 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    edited June 13
    deleted because misread the topic.
    edited June 13
    · Reply · Share
  • RiversiderRiversider 668 replies75 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 743 Member
    edited June 13
    You should look at colleges with big endowments, usually they offer generous financial aid programs.
    edited June 13
    · Reply · Share
  • LMK5LMK5 102 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
    @thumper1 that's true. I just thought the OP was asking who got a generous private school aid offer. With Northeastern's package it still would have been about 6k per year more than UCs, so my daughter will be attending Berkeley.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7402 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,478 Senior Member
    The five schools discussed in the article are: Duke, Harvard, Stanford, Berea & Princeton.

Interesting that the schools with the most generous financial aid, such as Harvard, Princeton, Stanford & Duke, are also the schools for which many would be most willing to borrow funds in order to attend.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom9collegemom9 766 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 791 Member
    Emory offers amazing financial aid. The best schools for FA are the most competitive and low income, very smart kids can get great packages.
    · Reply · Share