right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Discovering Affordability

Replies to: Discovering Affordability

• PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 12668 replies29 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    LFC is outside of Chicago, has a semester in Chicago program, and offers automatic scholarships that would bring costs close to your price range:
    https://www.lakeforest.edu/admissions/scholarships/

Probably could knock off a few semesters with AP's as well.

Also, she's not stuck at any particular college for all 4 years when you consider that there are study-abroad programs, National Student Exchange, and "semester in <city>" programs: https://chicagosemester.org/
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77781 replies678 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    However, being a liberal girl growing into a young woman in Alabama has made her want to live her life in a progressive, large city in the north. Chicago, Boston and NYC are her main choices.

Note that not all northern places are that liberal or progressive in all aspects. For example, Chicago is commonly cited as one of the most racially segregated cities in the US.
    · Reply · Share
  • lvvcsflvvcsf 2319 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    "I will be a happy camper if I never hear the words "donut hole" again."

A couple of thoughts on this. There are a couple of ways that I don't think think Federal student aid has kept up with the realities of the college market. First is that the Pell grants and Stafford loans levels have stayed the same since my oldest was applying to college in 2012. I suspect that that was the case for several years prior. The cost of an education has increased considerably since then. Second, has the means of calculating EFC changed as the costs of an education have increased? I'm not sure since it's not a very transparent process. If not then it seems this would cause the "donut hole" to get larger as more and more familie's incomes do not keep up with the increase in college tuition.

A second thought is that hard work and perseverance put you in the position to have good things happen. It doesn't guarantee them. Just because someone is bright enough to get into XX Ivy or etc. doesn't mean they will and if they do they can afford it. Hard work does not create an entitlement to such an education. If a university accepts a student that does not require them to provide financing. If a university accepts a student it also does not require the parents to finance it. Income does limit choices. It does so in all facets of life. The good news is that most of us have educational opportunities even if they aren't necessarily the ones we "dream" of.
    · Reply · Share
  • sybbie719sybbie719 20721 replies1996 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    edited June 21
    @Ivvcsf wrote:

First is that the Pell grants and Stafford loans levels have stayed the same since my oldest was applying to college in 2012.

The max pell grant in 2012 was $5500 for a family with a 0 EFC. For 2019-2020, the max Pell grant for a family with a 0 EFC is 6195.

Even then with the exception of a small handful of students attending schools that meet 100% demonstrated need, admitted through Questbridge, are part of opportunity programs or are receiving major scholarships like GMS most 0 EFC students are attending their local colleges and commuting from home because most FAFSA only schools are not meeting 100% demonstrated need.
    edited June 21
    · Reply · Share
  • TravelMom402TravelMom402 36 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    UCHICAGO is not going to be very flexible. Very rare to get merit aid, and NMF gets you $2,000 off the $80,000 COA. They use the federal formula and expect students to contribute $5,000/year on top of parents. There is not a choice of meal plans to lower cost, AP and IB scores have to be super high for any credit, and if you move off campus they will reduce aid. Aid can vary year to year. Siblings in grad school not considered and no appeals unless there has been a major life change or medical expenses above 11% of income. Admissions officers are awesome.
    · Reply · Share
  • cypresspatcypresspat 310 replies8 threadsRegistered User Member
    I second @sybbie719. I have many law school clients. It is ALL about grades and the LSAT. And law school prospects are very well informed about which LSAT’s get students into various law schools. They openly share admissions info (stats, aid, etc.) online. It is kind of a buyer’s market for law school still, as baby boomers continue to retire, the glut of attributes will shrink. Law schools are competing hard for students, but naturally the top ones don’t have to fight hard (but much harder than they had to 15-20 years ago).

That being said, prestigious law firms in NYC will be completely status conscious in terms of law school brand. Your money is better spent on lawn school brand than undergrad brand. Pick undergrad institution on ability to succeed. Rock that LSAT! Eye on the prize - very solid law school. Great summer internships/clerkships.
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 8841 replies325 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Thank you for sharing that, @mom517. I've known families where the kids said they understood that schools had to come off the table if they didn't get enough aid but they wanted the parents to let them apply just to see if they could get in. The parents reluctantly agreed, but when the acceptances came without enough money all of a sudden the kids couldn't understand why they couldn't go.

"If we really couldn't afford it," they said, "why did you even let me apply?!"

It's not a situation I'd want to be in.
    · Reply · Share
  • Madison85Madison85 10316 replies408 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @mom517 Is she happy now or at least not still upset?
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41780 replies450 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @LookAtMyShoes : have you run the NPC on Barnard?
    Definitely check out Fordham. Sure, it's Catholic, but it's very different from Texas-religious.
    Bryn Mawr is right outside Philadelphia.
    Mount Holyoke, URochester, Macalester, American U, Lewis&Clark, UPugetSound, Willamette, Dickinson.
    Perhaps also Pitt (aim for 1500), Temple, UVermont, UMaryland, UMN Twin Cities.

There are progressive places about everywhere - what about Agnes Scott in Atlanta (if the new GA law isn't too off-putting/on the other hand it'd be an ideal college from which to mobilize and fight that law).
    · Reply · Share
  • sybbie719sybbie719 20721 replies1996 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    @MYOS1634 ,
    If family cannot afford Columbia, what will make Barnard affordable?
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41780 replies450 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    It's a long shot, but not all colleges consider home equity/value in calculating net costs and OP mentioned it Ade a difference. It would also be in Barnard's interest not to calculate the same way as Columbia. Long shot but worth trying since it takes 20mn and is free.
    · Reply · Share
  • mommdcmommdc 11344 replies31 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Your daughter doesn't need to attend college in New York to be a lawyer there.

It would be better for her to attend an affordable undergraduate college and law school, so she can afford to live in New York City later.
    · Reply · Share
    She could apply to University of Pittsburgh.

Great city, she might get merit there to bring it down to $30,000.
    · Reply · Share
    There are great schools out there where she could get merit at.

The ones she favors happen to mostly only give need based aid. That's the problem.
    · Reply · Share
    A fellow poster's son picked UA because of affordability and program.

He did very well there and now attends a top graduate program.

Not all lawyers make a lot of money. She will have a better financial future with less debt.
    · Reply · Share