right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Did you have to go into debt to attend the college of your dreams?

Replies to: Did you have to go into debt to attend the college of your dreams?

• gmarie1112gmarie1112 26 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    There have been students have at my school with lower scores that have gotten in so it’s worth a shot. From research I’ve done on the other schools, they give great aid, especially the LACs. In state tuition won’t be an issue for me. I don’t mind going into a bit of debt.
    · Reply · Share
  • CottonTalesCottonTales 1224 replies21 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    OP, I ran Butler's NPC with the info you have provided, and that is approx correct. Taking out a freshman loan would still leave you with 28,000. Schools that don't meet need are not affordable to you as @mom2collegekids explained to you above.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 74357 replies3254 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 15
    I don’t mind going into a bit of debt.

As a student, you can only borrow...

$5500 freshman year
    $6500 sophomore year
    $7500 junior year
    $7500 senior year

Those amounts won’t pay for any of these colleges if you plan to live in in the dorms, or even off campus. For the private schools, this loan amount won’t cover a significant amount of the tuition. You need very significant aid if your parent earns only $30,000 a year, right?

How much can you mom actually contribute to your college costs? With her income, I would say...very little.

How is your sibling paying for college?
    For Butler, the data said the net price would be $35,435 but I doubt if it’s accurate. Plus it was done through College Raptor. I got similar results from Marquette University’s NPC though.

Why do you think the Butler number isn’t accurate...especially since the Marquette NPC yelled a similar number? These schools do not met full need. And they are expensive as you know.
    edited July 15
    · Reply · Share
    I can probably get $2000 from my mom, dad, and grandma. That’s how much my sister was able to get. She was an RA her sophmore year ( Western Mich) which payed for her housing. She was a resident assistant for an on campus apartment and that payed for her apartment her junior and senior year. Throughout the years she got a couple scholarships. She’s about $20000 in debt. She was able to get in state tuition for grad school at OSU and she got a grant to cover her apartment for a little while.
    · Reply · Share
    When I look up the cost for students who make under 30k at Marquette it says around $18,000. And that data is from the gov
    · Reply · Share
    Is that tuition only?
    · Reply · Share
    No it’s average cost after aid and this is data from the Department of Education
    · Reply · Share
    I ran approx numbers with a 0 EFC and still came back with approx $25,000 per year. You can only take out $5500, and maybe summer work of $3,000. You are still left owing approx 17k for freshman year alone. We are not meaning to discourage you but want you to realize the bottom line. Do you have a school that you can commute to?
    · Reply · Share
    Around $18,000? Is that an average? Where will you get that $18,000? $5500 Direct Loan. $6100 Pell. $2000 from grandma. That’s $14,000 or so.

You would still have $4000 more to find.
    And that is assuming your net cost is actually $18,000.

Please cast a wide net.

It’s very possible you could fund tuition cost if and then commute to on of your instate options...is that possible?

Don’t count on becoming an RA. The positions are very competitive. It might happen, but you can’t count on it.
    · Reply · Share
    There are schools near me to commute to but I prefer to not be close to home.
    · Reply · Share
    You certainly can apply to any of these colleges. But please, please include commutable and affordable option in your applications just in case the money (or acceptances) aren’t forthcoming elsewhere.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 1334 replies9 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My affordable options are Kalamazoo College, western michigan university, grand valley state, michigan state, University of Michigan, and Denison University.

How are Denison and Kalamazoo affordable? COA for Kalamazoo is $63,000, and of Denison is $67,000.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77784 replies678 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    gmarie1112 wrote:
    There are schools near me to commute to but I prefer to not be close to home.

Unfortunately, your parents' financial circumstances and choices are the largest factor in your college choice (or if you can even go to college), just like it is for most students. If your parents cannot contribute anything, then you need to find a college with a net price of under about $8-10k (which you can cover with a direct loan and some part time and summer work earnings).

If your parents will continue to let you live at home, commuting from home will typically be less expensive than living at the college, although living at home does cost money, and commuting costs money. However, if you can get into a more distant college that offers financial aid that leaves a net price under $8-10k even if you live there, or gives a merit scholarship that (added to any Pell grant you may be eligible for) leaves a net price under $8-10k, then such a college becomes an option.
    · Reply · Share
    Both Kalamazoo and Denison give generous aid to low income families. I have visited both colleges and spoke with financial aid people.
    · Reply · Share
  • cshell2cshell2 437 replies5 threadsRegistered User Member
    "Generous aid" does not mean you can afford it. I ran the NPC on Kalamazoo and even with an income under 30K and being a Michigan resident for that grant it came to a net price of 30K. This is more than half off sticker price, so for sure generous, but how will you get 30K/year? You can only borrow about 5K/year and your mother sure as heck should not be taking out Parent Plus loans at her income.

I get it sucks. We're kind of in the same boat. Our college list started with about 20 schools and now is down to 5 that meet the degree requirement DS is looking for and that we could realistically pay for (with the goal of no student loans).
    · Reply · Share
    a $40,000 financial aid award to Kalamazoo or Denison would be generous...but would leave YOU with having to pay over $20,000 per year.

That is not within the budget you have...which is under $10,000 a year.
    · Reply · Share
    Dension uses CSS profile, which requires non-custodial parent info.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77784 replies678 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 16
    gmarie1112 wrote:
    Both Kalamazoo and Denison give generous aid to low income families. I have visited both colleges and spoke with financial aid people.

Kalamazoo's net price calculator is at http://www.kzoo.edu/admission/finaid/price-calculator/ . It produces a net price of at least $18.9k ($25.5k for 3.8 GPA with at least 8 AP courses), which is beyond what a typical student can come up with from federal direct loans ($5.5k) and part time and summer work earnings, if your parents contribute little or nothing.

Denison's net price calculator is at https://denison.edu/forms/net-price-calculator . However, it requires both divorced parents' finances, according to https://denison.edu/campus/finances/faq , so you need to include both of their finances in the net price calculator if you want any hope of it giving a reasonable estimate. And if you cannot get cooperation from both on the CSS Profile, you will not get any financial aid from there.
    edited July 16
    · Reply · Share
    @ucbalumnus - are you sure on the Kalamazoo one? I couldn't get it down to 18.9K unless it was a 4.0 GPA with 8 AP classes. At 3.8 GPA it increased to 25K Net Price. Not that it matters. Both are over what she could come up with on her own.
    · Reply · Share