right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Disabled Vet Denied FAFSA

LAnne76LAnne76 2 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
I receive 90% disability from the VA and that is ALL the money I get a month. I have been denied now twice and Coastal Carolina Community College says I make too much. Now I have spoken to other Vets at school who are 100% and receive retirement pay and they qualify for FASFA. I received FASFA out in CA in 2017 in 2018 I moved to NC and I get denied. What can I do? Is there any other programs I can apply for?
edited August 15
18 replies
Post edited by skieurope on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Disabled Vet Denied FAFSA

• bjkmombjkmom 7942 replies158 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    FAFSA is a form. It's not financial aid; it's simply a form that you fill out in order to receive financial aid.

Could you go back and let us know what aid you were denied?
    · Reply · Share
  • LAnne76LAnne76 2 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    The school said I only qualified for fed student aid... and they don't participate in them. Which I find odd.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38128 replies2089 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    https://www.coastalcarolina.edu/admissions/financial-aid-scholarships/

This link talks about federal aid and school grants.
    · Reply · Share
  • LAnne76LAnne76 2 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    I received the Pell grant in 2017, was denied by Coastal in 2018 & 19 and my finances were the same. Just confused as to why.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 74357 replies3254 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The school said I only qualified for fed student aid... and they don't participate in them. Which I find odd.

Some schools do not participate in the federal loan programs. Their choice.

How did you pay for Coastal in 2018 and 2019?

How many years have you received federally funded need based aid...total...since you graduated from high school?

Are you eligible for any veterans benefits to pay for college?
    · Reply · Share
  • BelknapPointBelknapPoint 4417 replies16 threadsRegistered User Senior Member

This link talks about federal aid and school grants.

Based on the information on the linked page, Coastal Carolina Community College obviously participates in the federal student aid program.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids 84045 replies1015 threadsForum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Forum Champion

I think you need to go back for clarification. Their own website talks about federal aid.

· Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22703 replies15 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If you are talking about Coastal Carolina University, it does participate in federal financial aid programs like loans and Pell grants, I'm sure it also has a veterans affairs office that would be able to sort out what programs you qualify for.
    · Reply · Share
    This student is talking about Coastal Carolina Community College...not the University. But still...here is the link (posted above) which shows the kinds of aid they use. Federally funded aid is clearly listed.

· Reply · Share
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN 3345 replies11 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Yes, you need to call and ask for more specifics about the denial. How many semesters of aid do you receive prior to enrolling in this college - had you attended school previously? There is a limit to number of semesters funded with federal aid.
    · Reply · Share
  • scmom12scmom12 3104 replies21 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Coastal Caroliana univ is in SC. OP is talking about NC community college
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 8843 replies325 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The NC community college OP is talking about participates in the federal program. They need to talk to someone in financial aid to see why they were denied.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29255 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Did you fill out the FAFSA for the 2019-2020 year and receive the SAR that tells you what your EFC is? That is key to what the school can get from the federal government for you. Take a look at it. If it looks fine, run a copy of it and bring it to your appointment with the financial aid director.

It is possible you have other issues impeding access to federal funds. But let’s start with that SAR and EFC. Your academic performance in earlier years, years of eligibility left are just some things that affect access to federal money. You need to find out what the problem is. If you make too much money, that will show up in a high EFC—perhaps your disability income did not get entered properly, or other mistake.
    · Reply · Share
  • kelsmomkelsmom 15561 replies98 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Have you considered VR&E benefits for school?
    · Reply · Share
  • tsicklestsickles 26 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    It states in the Link provided, under Financial Aid Programs, subsection Federal Student Loan Programs, that "Coastal Carolina Community College does not participate in Federal Student Loan programs."
    · Reply · Share
    @tsickles it sure does say they don’t participate . Here is the exact sentence...right from the CC Community college site:
    Coastal Carolina Community College does not participate in Federal Student Loan programs.
    · Reply · Share
  • cshell2cshell2 439 replies5 threadsRegistered User Member
    But the OP was questioning no longer getting the Pell grant, not federal loans.
    · Reply · Share
    The OP gave no income information other than he is on disability. Some disability counts as income, and it’s possible this student didn’t qualify for the Pell.
    · Reply · Share