right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

What are my chances of getting significant merit aid?

hms00056hms00056 0 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
I am going into my senior year and beginning my college applications, but a lot of the schools are very expensive. In the past, my siblings have received minimal financial aid, so that is not really an option and we don't have a lot saved up. I am hoping to get merit aid from some of the colleges I'm applying to. My SAT score is a 1530 and I have a 4.45 weighted GPA. So far, I have taken 5 AP's and have taken the exam for all of them. AP Government (5), AP US History (4), AP Lang (4), AP World (3), and AP Psych (5). This year I am taking AP Stat, AP Environmental Science, and AP Physics as well as 4 dual enrollment classes. I have been doing dual enrollment since my sophomore year and am on track to graduate high school with an AA degree. I don't have a lot of strong leadership extracurriculars, but I run Cross-country in the fall (team captain) and track in the winter and spring. I am also the editor of my school's newspaper, in addition to a few other minor clubs. I also work a part-time job 15-20 hours a week. My most impressive activity is probably an internship at the Maryland State's Attorney's office I will be doing this fall. The colleges I am applying to are Vanderbilt University, Emory University, Villanova University, American University, Tulane University, University of Maryland College Park, St. Joeseph's University, Widener University, and Washington College. What kind of merit aid do you think I could receive from these schools, and do I have any chance of a full ride? I am a white female.
11 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What are my chances of getting significant merit aid?

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22709 replies15 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You have to look at the schools to see if they even offer merit aid. Some schools only offer need based financial aid and only you know if you'll qualify for that.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 74366 replies3255 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Vanderbilt University, Emory University, Villanova University, American University, Tulane University, University of Maryland College Park, St. Joeseph's University, Widener University, and Washington College

I believe these colleges all offer merit aid. It will be highly competitive at Emory, Vandy, and competitive at Villanova and Tulane. Those schools really offer mostly need based aid.

Are you a Maryland resident?

It’s difficult to predict how much merit you will receive...because none of these colleges has guaranteed merit aid.

have you considered University of Alabama? Your guaranteed merit aid would be quite good there. If you apply today, and complete the scholarship application as well, you will have a decision with an aid award in a few weeks.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldfortoldfort 22900 replies290 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 18
    You have very good stats and should be able to get merit aid. As mentioned by previous post, you need to look at schools that offer merit aid and you need to be at tippy top of their admits. It may mean going for a step down of your reach/match. You should apply to as many schools as possible (wider net) in order to get good merit aid.
    We were not qualified for FA and we were pleasantly surprised with a full ride at a good LAC for my older daughter based on her stats.
    edited August 18
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29255 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You have a great chance for merit money. The question is for how much? Do those schools have the size awards you seek? Emory, Vanderbilt have great awards but chances of getting them very small. A bit better odds at Villanova and Tulane, but still reaches. UMD has possibilities, but no idea if the other schools have full ride or full tuition awards. You should look for some site things in the mix
    · Reply · Share
  • txstellatxstella 1095 replies5 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Have your parents given you a budget? Also, what major are you considering?
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29255 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Correction in my last sentence in post above : You should look for some sure things in the mix.
    · Reply · Share
  • coolguy40coolguy40 2086 replies2 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Full ride scholarships can be tricky because they're competitive and you have to apply to them individually for each school. They're easier to get in your home state, but you want to cast a wide net. You would very likely get a full tuition scholarship at University of Alabama, TCU, and Baylor.
    · Reply · Share
  • HippobirdyHippobirdy 337 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    OP, what does your guidance counselor say? Any past students from your high school with similar stats get merit aid?
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 2109 replies31 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Another vote for Alabama.

Just want to add that you should definitely look at your in-state schools. They are more likely than the upper tier privates to accept and tansfer in all your AP and DE credits. So graduating from a state school in two years may be cheaper in the long term than a merit scholarship for four years at a private. YMMV. Apply to some of both and see how the finances look when you get your aid offers.

Don't fall in love with any one "dream school". When you are chasing aid, the dream school is the highest bidder.
    · Reply · Share
  • chmcnmchmcnm 95 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited August 19
    What’s your intended major and what’s your budget? Temple, WVU, Kentucky, UT Dallas, and the Arizona schools would probably offer you significant merit.

You would most likely get into the Honors programs too. Plenty of good STEM/business options at these schools.
    edited August 19
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 74366 replies3255 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    University of New Mexico is another option for you.

Also...apply NOW to Pitt. Your best chance at merit aid there is applying ASAP.

You should also look at University of South Carolina. They have some great scholarships for OOS students...and with your stats you might be competitive for the McNair which is a full ride. Apply as soon as you can...and complete their scholarship application form. It’s a doozie, but it will be worth it if you get their award.
    · Reply · Share