right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Can my direct Stafford loan be delayed for being absent the first 4 days of class?

SiJonesSiJones 46 replies13 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
Can my direct Stafford loan be delayed for being absent the first 4 days of class? I won't be home until 4 days after the first day of class. I do not think my dispersement would be delayed because of this but my mom is worried so I'm asking here.
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Can my direct Stafford loan be delayed for being absent the first 4 days of class?

• cshell2cshell2 439 replies5 threadsRegistered User Member
    Do all your professors know you'll be missing? A lot of schools have a policy that you can be dropped from classes if you don't attend the first couple days to make room for students who are waiting for an opening. That would be the only thing I would think that would affect loan dispersement, otherwise, how would the financial aid office even know you weren't in class?
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 8843 replies325 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If I were you I'd check your school's attendance policy. At our college a student who missed the first 2 classes can be dropped. lf there's a waitlist they won't get the seat back.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 74357 replies3254 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 24
    Same at my kids’ colleges. A student who is a no show the first week of classes would have been dropped from those courses.

But the kicker is that if the student didn’t properly withdraw, they would still be charged for the semester.

I hate to say it...but unless there is a really good reason for this...why are you missing classes?

edited August 24
    · Reply · Share
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 6647 replies140 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Certainly you should contact your professors and let them know the situation and try to get any assignments or syllabi they gave out so that you are not behind when you get there. We hate it when students just waltz in on day 3 and think we're going to bend over backwards to get them on track.
    · Reply · Share