right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

EFC formula 2020/21 released

Replies to: EFC formula 2020/21 released

• mommdcmommdc 11331 replies31 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Simplified Needs Test
    For the 2020–2021 Award Year, a dependent student qualifies for the simplified EFC formula if both (1), below, and (2), on the next page, are true:
    (1) Anyone included in the parents’ household size (as defined on the FAFSA) received
    benefits during 2018 or 2019 from any of the designated means-tested federal benefit
    programs: the Medicaid Program, the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Program, the
    Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), the Free and Reduced Price School
    Lunch Program, the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program1
    , and the
    Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC);
    OR
    the student’s parents:
    • filed a 2018 IRS Form 1040, but did not file a Schedule 12
    • filed a tax form from a Trust Territory3
    , or
    • were not required to file any income tax return;
    OR
    the student’s parent is a dislocated worker
    AND
    (2) The combined 2018 income of the student’s parents is $49,999 or less.
    • For tax filers, use the parents’ adjusted gross income from the tax return to determine
    if income is $49,999 or less.
    • For non-tax filers, use the income shown on the 2018 W-2 forms of both parents (plus
    any other earnings from work not included on the W-2s) to determine if income is
    $49,999 or less.
    · Reply · Share
    Auto Zero EFC
    Certain students are automatically eligible for a zero EFC. The requirements for receiving an
    automatic zero EFC are the same as those for the simplified EFC calculation except for these
    differences:
    • The income threshold for the parents of dependent students and for independent students and
    their spouses is $26,000 or less (for an automatic zero EFC) instead of $49,999 or less (for
    the simplified EFC calculation), and
    • For independent students, those without dependents other than a spouse cannot receive an
    automatic zero EFC.
    · Reply · Share
  • cshell2cshell2 404 replies5 threadsRegistered User Member
    mommdc wrote: »
    Simplified Needs Test
    For the 2020–2021 Award Year, a dependent student qualifies for the simplified EFC formula if both (1), below, and (2), on the next page, are true:
    (1) Anyone included in the parents’ household size (as defined on the FAFSA) received
    benefits during 2018 or 2019 from any of the designated means-tested federal benefit
    programs: the Medicaid Program, the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Program, the
    Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), the Free and Reduced Price School
    Lunch Program, the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program1
    , and the
    Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC);
    OR
    the student’s parents:
    • filed a 2018 IRS Form 1040, but did not file a Schedule 12
    • filed a tax form from a Trust Territory3
    , or
    • were not required to file any income tax return;
    OR
    the student’s parent is a dislocated worker
    AND
    (2) The combined 2018 income of the student’s parents is $49,999 or less.
    • For tax filers, use the parents’ adjusted gross income from the tax return to determine
    if income is $49,999 or less.
    • For non-tax filers, use the income shown on the 2018 W-2 forms of both parents (plus
    any other earnings from work not included on the W-2s) to determine if income is
    $49,999 or less.

That should say Schedule 1, not 12.

Also there are exclusions. If you only file schedule 1 for capital gains, unemployment compensation, Alaska Permanent Fund dividends, educator expenses, IRA deductions, or student loan interest deductions, then you answer the FAFSA question as "No" that asks if you filed a schedule 1.
    · Reply · Share
    Yes, thank you, when I copied from the link I quoted, it copied the footnotes as well.
    I didn't see it in time to edit my post.
    The details can be found in the EFC formula that I posted the link for in the first post.
    I just wanted to post some information about the simplified needs test and auto zero EFC because people had been wondering how the tax reform (no more 1040A or EZ) might affect the criteria to qualify.
    · Reply · Share