right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Mother refuse to help pay for college but bothers me to attend

TrudyMinaj1TrudyMinaj1 8 replies8 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
I’m 21 and parents refuse to support me financially. My mother earns over 100k a year and sometimes refuse to pay the heat bill in the winter. She doesn’t care because she mainly lives with her boyfriend and home on the weekends. She doesn’t provide food and I have epilepsy. I been trying to get into college since I graduated high school and couldn’t because my mother refuse to give me her tax information to put in FAFSA and I’m not getting any aid and can’t afford to pay out of pocket.

If I didn’t help care for her when she’s a elder and left her to die alone... would I be wrong?
10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Mother refuse to help pay for college but bothers me to attend

• vonlostvonlost 18699 replies14097 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    Have a look at Dependency Override. Read carefully to decide if you might qualify:

http://cca-ct.org/financial aid 2008.pdf
    http://www.finaid.org/educators/pj/dependencyoverrides.phtml
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 74205 replies3245 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 6
    A year ago, you were enrolled in a college program...

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/new-york-colleges/2098973-do-i-have-a-case-for-lawyers.html#latest

And in 2017 you wrote this...
    . I got a email from tap saying I was eligible for 5,000 and FAFSA said I was eligible for 5,000 grant. MCC is 14k for the whole 2 years. SUNY said to wait until I get my financial aid award letter to see what I'm eligible for such as fseog grant, pell grant, college grant, etc

So...what’s the real story?
    edited September 6
    · Reply · Share
  • TrudyMinaj1TrudyMinaj1 8 replies8 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I obviously ran into issue that’s the point of my me writing this. 😑 You copy and pasted a old 2 years ago thread that saids “SUNY said to wait until I get my financial aid award letter to see what I’m eligible for....” Wouldn’t that mean obviously I ran into issues??
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 8830 replies324 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Does your mom know you might qualify for the Excelsior Tuition Grant if she helps you file the FAFSA? Why is she nagging you to attend college if she's not helping to file the paperwork? That doesn't make sense.

You mentioned your parents not helping. Where is your dad? Can you live with him? Do you have a job? If you can't afford the utilities on your mom's Long Island home maybe you should look for a shared apartment.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38084 replies2086 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    edited September 7
    OP, @thumper1 is pointing out that your posts are inconsistent. In this thread, you write, "I been trying to get into college since I graduated high school and couldn’t..." In the thread she linked to, you wrote, "I'm a 20 year old college student in Long Island, I'm a freshmen." Users want to make sure they're helping legitimate posters, and when they see inconsistencies in posts it makes them wonder.

How long did you attend college? Did you have to drop out?
    edited September 7
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 8830 replies324 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I been trying to get into college since I graduated high school and couldn’t because my mother refuse to give me her tax information to put in FAFSA

Your posts are confusing. Last fall you said you filed the FAFSA but it was delayed due to an error. We're you using your dad's info?

If your mom earns $100k she makes too much for you to get a Pell Grant, but you might be eligible for the NYS TAP Grant or the Excelsior tuition grant. You might need to get a full-time job and take classes at the closest community college as you can afford them.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29210 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You are 21 years old now. How about looking for a job, saving money and gaining some independence? If you are dis, look for facilities for those so challenged.

Most of the folks our age aren’t looking for our kids to care for us. We hope we aren’t needed to care for our kids even in our old age. I think you should be thinking more about YOUR future than your mother’s. She’s got a life, a job, money, a SO. YOU are a problem to her.
    · Reply · Share
    OP has challenges to figure out, but so do a lot of young people. College is expensive and finding an affordable option isn't always easy.

Trudy, if you tell us your options maybe we can help you. Could you live with your dad? Do you have other family who live near a college? You said once you were working on getting your license. How is that going? You may have to get a full-time job to support yourself and pay for classes as you can afford them. If you stay with your dad more days than you stay with your mom you can use his tax info on the FAFSA. Will he give it to you?
    · Reply · Share
  • aunt beaaunt bea 9818 replies62 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You also have another issue that I hate to point out, but it is so glaring that it will affect your college goals: it’s your writing skills. Maybe you’re using your texting while writing your questions and responses here? Colleges expect you to be able to write well and cohesively. These posts don’t show that you are ready for that.

I don’t know your history, but if your epilepsy is impacting your academics, you can get help through the disability resource center at your local CC, and you might be eligible for some funding. Please start contacting your local public uni and ask for help. In the meantime, get a job, . . . Yes, they do hire people with epilepsy.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 74205 replies3245 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Which parent completed the FAFSA with you the first time (since it appears that was done). Will that parent do it with you again, and if not, why?
    · Reply · Share