right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Side discussion thread for top New Jersey engineering students looking for advice getting merit aid

NJEngineerDadNJEngineerDad 42 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
Hello. I am starting this thread for the top 10% students from New Jersey that might be following the thread "Looking for advice in Merit aid for a top 1% student" with interest because they want to study engineering or computer science and are looking for merit scholarships. If you are a NJ resident, my advice is that, on top of all the schools that have been mentioned so far in the "Looking for advice in Merit aid for a top 1% student" thread, you should apply to Rutgers but do not consider it a financial safety because all top NJ students have high SAT scores and the bar to get a merit scholarship is apparently being raised every year. A few datapoints I have gathered suggest that a score in the order of 1530 single-sitting SAT (35 ACT) might be needed to get accepted at the Rutgers Honors College via the School of Arts and Sciences (SAS) and a score in the order of 1570 single-sitting SAT (36 ACT) might be needed to get accepted at the Rutgers Honors College via the School Of Engineering (SOE). Acceptance to the Rutgers Honors College apparently comes with at least a 10K merit scholarship. Conversely, not being accepted to the Honors College appears to mean that any potential merit scholarship will be strictly less than 10K. If getting a merit scholarsip is a must and your stats are borderline, or if you need a scholarship much larger than 10K, you should consider also applying to NJIT where you might get accepted at the Albert Dorman Honors College or Rowan University where you migth get accepted at the Bantivoglio Honors College with merit scholarships that could reach full-ride level.
11 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Side discussion thread for top New Jersey engineering students looking for advice getting merit aid

• NJEngineerDadNJEngineerDad 42 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Hereunder please find useful links:

Rutgers Honors College https://honorscollege.rutgers.edu/
    Scholarship at Rutgers https://admissions.newbrunswick.rutgers.edu/paying-for-college/scholarships?_ga=2.103232384.1478079297.1567813941-480429637.1527212360
    "For the fall 2019 incoming class, these scholarships ranged from $3,500–$28,000 per year."

Albert Dorman Honors College (NJIT) https://honors.njit.edu/
    Scholarships at NJIT https://honors.njit.edu/content/scholarships
    "Honors scholarships currently range from $2500 to full tuition and room."

Bantivoglio Honors (Rowan) https://sites.rowan.edu/honors/index.html
    Scholarships at Rowan https://admissions.rowan.edu/financingeduc/scholarships.html
    (amounts somehow not explicitly listed)
    · Reply · Share
    edited September 7
    To help decide if accepting a large merit scholarship at one of the lower ranked colleges is a better path than accepting a small scholarship at Rutgers, it might help to refer to the US News Engineering Program ranking: Rutgers is ranked #48 and NJIT is ranked #87. For reference Princeton is ranked #12 and Stevens #75. Rowan does not offer doctorate so it is ranked on a different scale, but highly.

In the book "Inside Honors 2018-2019: Ratings and Reviews of 50 Public University Honors Programs" John Willingham gives both the Rutgers Honors College and NJIT's Albert Dorman Honors College a 4.5/5 rating. Rowan's Bantigvoglio Honors College is reviewed but not (yet?) rated.
    edited September 7
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77683 replies678 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Is this thread aimed at those who cannot afford in-state NJ publics at list price or need-based financial aid?

In any case, getting large merit scholarships typically means aiming low on the admissions selectivity scale, because the colleges offer their large merit scholarships to those on the upper end of the admit class (sometimes within division or major).
    · Reply · Share
    @ucbalumnus You are right, this thread is aimed at somebody somewhat like @KevinFromOC but focused on NJ (e.g. with a 15K/year budget, looking to gap the difference with the standard in-state COA of 30K/year using merit). A moderator asked that the main thread not be polluted by a post about NJ colleges I felt could be helpful to some readers so I created a new thread as suggested.
    · Reply · Share
    Somehow the NJ public schools do a poor job at advertising that they offer merit scholarships (unlike say the Alabama and Arizona schools) but truth is that for NJ residents they might offer them enough to entice them to stay in the state. However, at Rutgers, the state flagship, getting a merit scholarship has become very competitive, and I would like that any person hoping to get significant merit realize that they might have to aim lower than they were planning to so they don't end up without a good option by decision day.
    · Reply · Share
  • mommdcmommdc 11331 replies31 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    For those students who qualify for NJTAG, in addition to merit, it might be more affordable to stay instate.
    https://www.hesaa.org/tagestimator/current/studentstatus.asp
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1168 replies2 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I believe Rowan stopped giving full rides a couple years ago. I think the max available is now $10k. The student I know who got Rutgers Honors College with a full ride was ranked #1 but SAT was in the 1400's. That was 2017 so maybe that's a recent change.
    · Reply · Share
    @NJWrestlingmom Thank you for sharing. For Rowan you are probably right. That would explain why they don't list their scholarship offers anymore. For Rutgers I have heard of people getting presidential scholarships last year but not this year, suggesting that they raised the bar. I have tried to guess the factors taken into account lately and it seems that the SAT score was a major factor but I might be wrong...
    · Reply · Share
  • 1NJParent1NJParent 1253 replies33 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My S applied to Rutgers in 2017 and received its Presidential Scholarship, which was roughly a full ride for an in-state student. He does have perfect test scores but Rutgers is supposed to be holistic in its evaluation of applicants.
    · Reply · Share
    @1NJParent Thank you for your input. Have you heard of anybody in the School Of Engineering getting a presidential scholarship this year (i.e. the school year that just started)? If so do you know their stats?
    · Reply · Share
  • 1NJParent1NJParent 1253 replies33 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @NJEngineerDad No, I don't, unfortunately. My S chose to go to another college so I don't have any current information.
    · Reply · Share